cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusing O2 582N (Wireless Box 5)

calvin92

Reusing O2 582N (Wireless Box 5)

Hello,
Anyone know how i can reuse the O2 582N router. I just moved over from Sky broadband. I want to reuse the router. Hate keeping so many routers feeling its a waste. I have tried this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0qqg8FCxI
but it keep saying authentication failed. I am not sure if i have don't it properly.
8 REPLIES 8
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Reusing O2 582N (Wireless Box 5)

If you only became live today, your account may not yet have been activated. Try after midnight, if no joy phone in then, they ought to be able to activate it for you if your order is complete. If you phone in now and they can activate it, you will start paying from today - I got caught like that about 5 mins to midnight  Roll_eyes
calvin92

I am properly connected using another router. The O2 one has the beifit of using DDNS (no -ip) which i need. I am therefore trying to get it to connect to plusnet some way or form
Anotherone
Champion

If you log into the box, does it show your correct Plusnet username in the form <username>@plusdsl.net ? And of course check you've entered the BB password correctly? Did you also try the username and password entry directly into the saved config file as suggested at the end of the video, and of course reload the amended config file?
I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point, not having done this on an O2 box, but I know a man who probably has - npr, who came from O2/BE and knows a bit about these boxes. I'll try and point him this way.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

When I was using O2 routers, just before the Sky takeover, they were securely lock to O2.
The only way to unlock them required a soldering iron, a fair bit of time and a lot of luck. I very much doubt the method posted above will unlock a O2 router running pre Sky firmware.
I don't know if Sky pushed new code to the router at the time of the change, I rather suspect they must have for the above method to work.
If your O2 router has never been used with Sky after they moved to their own login method, then I suspect you're wasting your time.  -- sorry.
There's also this method:
http://www.jonathandavis.me.uk/2013/12/flashing-generic-firmware-on-a-technicolor-tg582n/
But again I suspect the router needs to have previously been unblocked by Sky.
Anotherone
Champion

Just a quick question from me, depending on board version, variant etc. I assume it's not possible to flash with alternative firmware eg. generic Thomson and/or then a Plusnet version? The latter having the ability for DDNS.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The O2 TG582n and the PN TG582n, as you know, are different board versions which really makes them different routers. It's beyond me why they both have the same model number.
I wouldn't risk using firmware intended for board version DANT-T (plusnet) on a DANT-1 (o2) router.
When I was playing with these O2 router it was impossible ( without getting the soldering iron out) to flash a O2 router with any other, generic or otherwise, firmware.
It's a shame really because IMO the O2 router is superior to the PN one.
AFAIK both O2 and plusnet router have the ability to do dynamic DNS. If the settings for the required provider are not in the GUI they can be configure via telnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for reminding me of that, I now recall I did stumble across the info quite a few moons ago.
calvin92

Quote from: npr
When I was using O2 routers, just before the Sky takeover, they were securely lock to O2.
The only way to unlock them required a soldering iron, a fair bit of time and a lot of luck. I very much doubt the method posted above will unlock a O2 router running pre Sky firmware.
I don't know if Sky pushed new code to the router at the time of the change, I rather suspect they must have for the above method to work.
If your O2 router has never been used with Sky after they moved to their own login method, then I suspect you're wasting your time.  -- sorry.
There's also this method:
http://www.jonathandavis.me.uk/2013/12/flashing-generic-firmware-on-a-technicolor-tg582n/
But again I suspect the router needs to have previously been unblocked by Sky.

I tried that method and telnet into it and upgrade but was in an upgrade loop