cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning customer - speed's a bit slow so far

LordBinbag

Returning customer - speed's a bit slow so far

Hullo

I'm a former customer of Plusnet who has just returned (are you mad? I hear some cry) on a boggo ADSL contract and after 14 days I've had the usual email stating my potential and current speed range.

The estimate is 1 to 3.5 with a current speed of 1.9. (usually it's less than the 1.9, TBH)

I know that 3.25 to 3.5 is more than achievable because it is what I was getting day in day out from Plusnet previously and from my most recent ISP.  It also fits in with the max of about 4 - 4.5mbps on my line regards distance to the exchange, as I was reliably informed by Openreach engineers.

I know it takes a bit of time to settle down and that there has been some work on the power grid around here recently causing a few power cuts, so this would've had an impact.

Can't get fibre at the moment because the cab is currently full, so ADSL it is for now.

I can't give you any info from my router as every time I try and get into the stats, it just bumps me from the router home page to a google search page. (??)

I've carried out all the usual speed tests on various sites incl. BT wholesale and it's a bit all over the shop.

Anyone want to take a crack at giving the line a quick stir to see if the speed can be raised to where it was before?

Many thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: Returning customer - speed's a bit slow so far

Hi LordBinbag,

Welcome back and thank you for getting in contact with us via our community forums.

I have run some tests and checks on your line and can see that the connection is running as it should be and everything is running stable. The only thing that I could see is that your profile in your account was set to 1.9  where it should be at 2.4 so I have corrected this for you.

Also from running my checks I can see that the capacity issue should be cleared now and you can order FTTC on your line and get speeds of up to 80Mbps.

LordBinbag

Thanks for doing that.

2.4 still seems low compared to what I was getting from Plusnet previously, between 2014 & 2015, when it was consistently 3 / 3.2 to 3.5. 

As for the capacity in the cab, I was told there was space according to the database or whatever, however, the Openreach guy who came out to try and hook up my neighbour last week said actually there isn't.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

I can understand that but from looking at this you might not get that any more and this could be down to the new technology in the cabinet.

Well it is showing available and if you placed an order the worst that would happen is that you go into a waiting list whilst they increase capacity but with your neighbour they could be connected to a different cabinet

LordBinbag

Well I was getting 3 to 3.5 right before I switched back to you, so the cab technology claim is a non-starter.

My neighbour is connected to the same cab, btw.

I'll just have to see how it goes.

Thanks anyway.

LordBinbag

Latest BTW speed test. Come on Plusnet,  you can do better than this. I know you can because I was getting 3 to 3.5 day in day out from you when I was previously a customer up to 2015. A 2.51 IP Profile seems rather mean.

BTW test.jpg

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Your connection is currently in sync at 2848, so a 2.5Mbps profile on our side sounds about right.

I'm sorry to hear this isn't quite what you were getting when you were previously with us, however speeds can change over time and the speed is still within the estimate for the line, unfortunately it would make raising a fault more difficult as our suppliers would likely just bounce it back advising there is no problem as it's within the estimates.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet