Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict broadband usage

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Restrict broadband usage

DAK, is there a way for a home user to 'restrict broadband usage'.
i.e. throttle back on peer-to-peer or data streaming.
4 REPLIES 4
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Restrict broadband usage

Some software used for P2P (most torrent software for example) has settings for maximum up & down rates, possibly also time restrictions.
My son uses torrent software for certain (legitimate) game downloads (micro-torrent I believe), I have found the settings to restrict that.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Depending on your account type you can use the manage my usage tool on the portal to set a cap so that you don't exceed your monthly allowance.
Also using view my usage is a good way of monitoring your usage habits to make sure you don't use too much too quickly if that's what you're worried about.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You used to be able to apply blocking using the Surf option: https://portal.plus.net/surf/
I have a feeling this doesn't work these days.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

It probably won't work. I'm referring to more general ways of restricting usage rather than specifically limiting P2P.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team