cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restart changes application assignment

MikeTodd
Dabbler
Posts: 17
Registered: 02-03-2014

Restart changes application assignment

I have two applications assigned in the router. After setting these up the applications work just fine.
However, when the router re-starts, such a after a power fail, then the applications are assigned to a random device on the local network. This is very tedious when I am away from home as there is then no way of re-assigning since access to the router externally is also reset on a restart.
The router retains correctly which applications are to be assigned, just the assigment itself that is altered.
Any ideas on how to make the assignments persist across a restart?
4 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Posts: 11,081
Thanks: 2,430
Fixes: 22
Registered: 22-08-2007

Re: Restart changes application assignment

Hi Mike,
A couple of questions...
1. Have you configured the DHCP client to reserve the IP address for specific devices?  Static addresses to be used for application mapping should be configured through DHCP reservation.
2. Have you mapped the applications to server by name or IP address?  Application mapping to service should be by machine name, not IP address.
Kevin
Community Veteran
Posts: 1,894
Thanks: 3
Registered: 20-10-2012

Re: Restart changes application assignment

A one-off payment of £5 will get you a static IP address. Knowing your IP address, you can access your router remotely!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
Superuser
Superuser
Posts: 11,081
Thanks: 2,430
Fixes: 22
Registered: 22-08-2007

Re: Restart changes application assignment

Geoff,
Good point for external access, though there are other ways than a static IP to do that.
Kevin
MikeTodd
Dabbler
Posts: 17
Registered: 02-03-2014

Re: Restart changes application assignment

I have a static IP
I map applications to machine name but when it restarts it comes up with a random machine.
I do not use fixed IPs as I found problems with that (and suggested on other forum threads). Apart from this problem seems much better since then, but I have to be honest, I have not yet had time to go back to static address for the named machine since I discovered that the technicolor cannot handle large intranet traffic and I installed a hub in fron of the router.
Might be something to try again.