Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Resolved] SNR Reset Request

JohnBayliss
Dabbler

[Resolved] SNR Reset Request

**Resolved**
Hi there,
We have not had many line drops and there is no fault on the line.
I have an ASUS N55U, which essentially reconnects every time you save new settings (not ideal).
I have a feeling this has caused my SNR to increase rapidly, from 3dB when I first joined PlusNet, to 18dB.
We have been connected constantly for the last 8 days - and of course we have, with such a high SNR!
/
The N55U has a Stability Adjustment which I set to +5dB to counter-act the high SNR, during one of these configuration changes.
This leads me to believe that i'm currently on an SNR of 18dB, which is extremely over the top (18dB-5dB ~ 13dB).
I can make the line perfectly stable at an SNR of 3dB, by changing the Stability Adjustment to -1dB.
/
Thanks,
John
10 REPLIES 10
JohnBayliss
Dabbler

Re: SNR Reset Request

On a site note, I found a picture on Google of an ugly plastic box that is in our hallway.

I believe it's an old BT demarkation point.
Do you reckon it's essential?    Still active?    Or would I have to pay a BT Engineer to remove it?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi JohnBayliss,
We can set the downstream SNR to either 3, 6, 9, 12 or 15dB. 6dB is tends to be the ideal value for lines although this can vary. I can get that placed if you wish?
Not sure if you'd need your socket replacing, it's certainly old. If your line is performing fine then I guess no, if there's a fault then possibly.
BT would charge just to replace this, however if an engineer was attending due to a fault or even a new install then it may get changed should the engineer feel it would improve/fix your connection.
JohnBayliss
Dabbler

3dB.
But as I said before, it will instantly break unless I tweak the router Stability Adjustment.
If you can do something, please give me a warning so I can change the Stability Adjustment.
Thanks a lot for the good service,
- John
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

That's gone through for you, I hope that helps.
JohnBayliss
Dabbler

Re: [Resolved] SNR Reset Request

My Ping is down to 9ms Cool
Is this real life?  Is this just fantasy?
/
The exchange doesn't seem to let me have 3dB+1dB.  It synced first at 6dB.
I then tried setting it to +1dB, but that took me way down to 1.9dB.
That's too risky, so I just set it back to -1dB - and it's now settled between about 6dB and 3.5dB (Day - Night)
There's no point getting greedy, it's synced at 9379, and IP Profile is the most important thing at the end of the day.
No doubt this gives a huge buffer for stability and my IP Profile will be great from now on.
Thankyou very much for the service Chris - couldn't be happier.
*CLOSED*
- Tim
JohnBayliss
Dabbler

Hi there,
Having had almost 2 years now of great service, without many drop-outs, my SNR is back to sky-rocketing again.
The SNR has shot up to 15-18dB in the last month - I have no idea why, because we hardly ever notice drop outs.
However, when the internet does drop, there is no good reason for it, the SNR never comes close to 0dB, it just "dies" randomly.   Is this SHINE?
/
Openreach installed a Fibre cabinet at the end of our road recently, so I don't know if that is related.
The once 10mbps sync rate has dropped to about 5mbps...
/
Anyway, I was hoping Chris or the Plusnet team could Reset our SNR once more, to 3 or 6dB.
Our upstream SNR is 6dB, is there any way to change this to 9dB (could that be causing the drops?)

/
Thanks again,
Patiently awaiting your response,
- Tim
JohnBayliss
Dabbler

Also, between now and 2 years ago, when we last requested a reset, our exchange has been upgraded in several ways.
https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMWZ
21CN WBC, LLU and now FTTC "in some areas".
Is there any upgrade available to us?
Or would it just sync at 16mbps if it could manage it?
I usually use ADSL2+ mode on the router (ASUS N55U)
/
Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 94402892
Lan Rx : 61203587
ADSL Tx : 83336
ADSL Rx : 161575
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 30
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 77
HEC Down : 47
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 6.0
SNR Down : 14.4
Line Attenuation Up : 23.0
Line Attenuation Down : 46.0
Data Rate Up : 1043
Data Rate Down : 7190
Surely our line could probably manage double this Tongue
What confuses me, is that Openreach says FTTC is "Available Now" (3rd Sep 2015), but most availability checkers say we can't order it.
We plan on changing to Fibre immediately as soon as it is available.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

As for FTTC being available to you, putting your phone number into the btwholesale checker should be definitive.
Regarding your ADSL, the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) can increase the target SNR margin based on the error rate (number of Errored Seconds) over the previous few days, it's not only based on the number of drop outs and re-connections. Various Asus models seem to have a reputation for attaining high speeds but at low stability. Some of the speeds you mention seem too high for the reported line attenuation, although the line attenuation may be inaccurate (or at least different to what other devices might report), and the error counts for CRC and FEC have probably transposed the up and down values.
Can Plusnet get those 7 / 14 / 28 day coloured charts of the of the DLM line quality / error rates? If the target SNR margin gets reset but nothing has changed, then the DLM will just increase it again.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi John,
The speed at which a line will operate is dependent upon the service (20CN or 21CN) and the line length (attenuation).  You are already on a 21CN / ADSL2+ service (upto 16Mbps) however with a 46dB attenuation, you are not going to see the line doing that much better than it us at the moment.
The cause of the persistent rise in SNRM needs identifying and if possible rectifying.  Following the speed issues thread advice will be helpful.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JohnBayliss
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies,
I'm aware of the ASUS instability, I managed to only find 1 firmware version that wouldn't drop constantly for no reason.
What I planned to do was put my DG834G back on the line and sell the N55U.
Still, once the DG834G is set back up it would be nice to have the SNR reset from Chris or someone else on the team.
15-18dB is a bit ridiculous, like I said, even the N55U coped with the whole of 2014 and 6dB with no issues at all at 9000kbps.
Thanks,
- Tim