cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset high noise margin after fault resolution

dleholt
Grafter

Reset high noise margin after fault resolution

I recently had problems with a faulty modem/router and replaced it with a PlusNet provided Speedtouch 585v7. The connection has been rock solid for 3 days or so since replacing but it's connecting at a lower speed than the old one used to. Checking the stats it looks as though the fault has caused BT to set my noise margin to 15db. How can I go about getting this reset back to 6db? My line stats are:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,184
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 11.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 10.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 15.0
David
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Reset high noise margin after fault resolution

Hi David,
It might be an idea to try rebooting the router first thing in the morning for the next few days to see if that results in BT instigating a recalculation of your SNR.
dleholt
Grafter

OK I'll give that a try. But how does the exchange tell the difference between me rebooting the router and the prior problem of the old router losing sync?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How often and how frequently.
However there is another factor - and no one knows what weighting it has - and that is the number of errors and the error rate
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

With a downstream attenuation of 10db and 15db SNR there shouldn't be ANY errors!!.
If there are, then as jim says , that could indicate some underlying problem and why the target SNR has not reduced.
It does take a while for the target to come down though, our office line has an attenuation of about 12 db and we had a line probelm about 9 months ago, target got set from 6 to 15db and after the line got fixed IIRC it took about 2 months of rock solid connection with minimal error counts to get back down to 6db.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.