and the latest speed test

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14675380771923833751-mini.png

Would a reset improve the speed any?

32 REPLIES 32
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Reset SNR

Hello there. I would say, possibly. The SNR does seem quite high for your line attenuation. It depends on how your connection looks in terms of stability.
I'll take a look at your account tomorrow when I'm back in the office. Smiley
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
sullys666
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Line attenuation has always been like that the whole time I have been with Plusnet. It has been commented on many times that my speed should be much higher, but it never has been Embarrassed

It's one of the reason's that I haven't changed to Fibre as I have read some many disguntled people using it, that and the Hub One doesn't sound that appealing.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@sullys666 I'm having difficulty in finding your account, please could you PM me your username?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for your PM. The connection appears to be stable, so I put through a request to change your SNR target to 6db. The change was rejected by the DLM, though. Sad Your indicative line quality is crimson, so it doesn't seem too good.

I'd probably suggest going through the steps of our broadband trouble shooter at http://faults.plus.net where you can complete it to raise a fault to us if you need to.

sullys666
Rising Star

I've gone through the troubleshooter to the best of my ability. It will be interesting to see if anything is picked up.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Testing the connection isn't bringing up anything obvious.

I'm not sure why Anoush's reset didn't go through, but I've managed to put one through to bring the SNR target down to 6dB and seen a slight increase in speed.

I'll link this thread on the fault ticket and leave it open in case our faults guys can see anything I've missed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
sullys666
Rising Star

Thanks 

I am seeing an almost 2Mbps increase with that reset

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=146772497115585781409

Not hopeful that it will stick though as I think the BT lines really need replacing locally, and they need to increase capacity at the exchange ( Unless they are trying to force people on to fibre )

sullys666
Rising Star

Having run the troubleshooter earlier in the week, I received the follwoing reply today:

I have tested your connection and can see that your line is in sync at 17Mbps which is within the expected range, though there are errors showing as affecting it. To reduce these, I have activated a system called interleaving on your line which should help with any throughput issues.

Is this a good or bad thing?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That depends on if you are bothered by the fixed amount of extra latency (maybe an extra 10 or 20 ms) due to the interleaving.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@sullys666 wrote:

Having run the troubleshooter earlier in the week, I received the follwoing reply today:

I have tested your connection and can see that your line is in sync at 17Mbps which is within the expected range, though there are errors showing as affecting it. To reduce these, I have activated a system called interleaving on your line which should help with any throughput issues.

Is this a good or bad thing?

I think it's a good thing. When Harry reduced your SNR target to 6db, this boosted your speed, but also generated a few errors. My faults colleague has enabled interleaving, which is a form of error correction on the line. It can cause your latency to increase, which sometimes causes a bit of lag whilst gaming.

The only other way to increase your speed would be to look at moving to fibre optic broadband.

sullys666
Rising Star

I will see how things go for the moment.  I am sure my son will be the first to let me know if his XBox One lags Wink

Not sure about fibre as I am not sure about the Plusnet provided router being good enough. My DSL-N55U is dual-band and my son has been much happier since he had the 5GHz band solely for his XBox One. Also with the imminent price increases I am concerned Fibre might be too expensive coupled with the telephone package.  

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@sullys666 wrote:
I am not sure about the Plusnet provided router being good enough. My DSL-N55U is dual-band and my son has been much happier since he had the 5GHz band

While I can't guarantee the Hub One would be exactly what you need, it is dual band so it does have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
sullys666
Rising Star

...and what sort of price would I be paying? It would need to be Unlimited but doesn't have to be the fastest package.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I imagine the standard Unlimited Fibre 38 Mbps would be a quite a big step up from your current package.
I'd suggest calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 as they are the best people to provide you with a good deal. 🙂
(They're closed now, though)