Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request to set downstream SNR margin to 6dB permanently

purenirvana
Dabbler

Request to set downstream SNR margin to 6dB permanently

Hi,
Having read through the forums I am interested in having the same request being put on my line as in this post here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114283.msg985819.html#msg985819
I have had my router's firmware crash and corrupt itself over the last 24 hours, the upshot is a downstream SNR margin rising from 6dB to 15dB. I appreciate this might not be a massive issue to some people, but in the rural area where I live, this is the difference between getting a 3 meg connection instead of a 1.5 meg connection!
I would therefore be most grateful if a request to permanently force my line onto a 6dB downstream SNR margin could be initiated. Ordinarily my line is extremely stable and can remain connected without dropouts for a couple of months. I would imagine this makes the line a suitable candidate to have a fixed 6dB downstream SNR margin request put on it.
Many thanks in anticipation of your help,
purenirvana
(PlusNet username is the same as my forum username)
9 REPLIES 9
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Request to set downstream SNR margin to 6dB permanently

Hi purenirvana,
I would be more than happy to do this for you. The difference between your requested and the previous request, is that you are on a 20CN connection whereas the changes that we have made on the other thread are for a 21CN connection.
20CN has it's limitations. We can change whether or not Interleaving is on, add Max Premium and change the broadband product you are on (Such as a fixed 500K Line)
We don't have the flexibility to be able to set custom DLM. Custom DLM allows us to set certain parameters to ensure that the SNR Target remains where it is - it's just not something we can do on 20CN I'm afraid Sad
purenirvana
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thanks very much for the rapid responce. Sorry, I hadn't noticed the other user was on 21CN. Damn my rural residence and it's old 20CN! Any idea when this will be updated to 21CN? Haha!
Of the options available to me, I believe switching interleaving off can lower ping times, correct?
What is the Max Premium option?
Is it possible for you to at least reset my SNR margin back to 6dB even if you can't fix it there?
I might well be interested in switching interleaving off too if it does reduce pings.
Many thanks again,
purenirvana
purenirvana
Dabbler

Right, I've just done a bit of 'googling'.
I don't think I'll really see much benefit from Max Premium, so I'll leave that alone.
I wouldn't mind trying my line with interleaving turned 'off' though, can this request be initiated please?
Also, if it is possible, can my downstream SNR margin be reset from the heady highs of 15dB? At least I can start from a 6dB margin again then!
Many thanks,
pn
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Now THAT I can do Cheesy
Leave it with me, I'll let you know once I've done it Smiley
Edit:
Okay, so I've placed an order for Interleaving to be switched off. This will complete tomorrow. Once complete I'l do an SNR Reset - we can submit one until the order completes).
purenirvana
Dabbler

Now that's what I call service!  Smiley
Do I need to restart my router for the interleaving alteration to come into effect, or will the exchange automatically boot me off so my router auto-reconnects?
Many thanks for your help Chris!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's no problem Smiley
The exchange will likely give you a quick boot (usually happens overnight).
We should be in good shape for an SNR Reset tomorrow morning.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Righteo,
That order has completed. I've just completed an SNR Reset to bring the SNR Target back down to 6db for you.
purenirvana
Dabbler

Excellent Chris, thank you very much!
All looks good from my end, connecting at speeds that just about put me into the 3.5 meg profile (with a little SNR tweaking - how lucky I am to have such a router and stable line  Wink ).
Pings are down 20/30/40ms which is also nice!
Thanks again for all of your help, it's such a rarity to get customer service these days!
purenirvana
P.S. Being as you are such a good chap, can you force BT to upgrade my exchange to the 21CN? Hahaha!  Grin
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's no problem at all Smiley
With regards to 21CN - I'd love to, however, I'm still waiting for FTTC in the city centre of Sheffield!