Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for speed reinstatement after line fault

gary396
Grafter

Request for speed reinstatement after line fault

Hi,
Coinciding with a recent phone line outage that lasted for 2-weeks (resolved on Friday 5th Sept, fault was external to the house) my PN fibre broadband speeds were drastically reduced. I was hoping they would have rectified themselves since last Friday but to date no improvement. Could someone at PN please give them a 'nudge' back up?
Originally - download 46-48MBs and upload 7-8MBs
Currently - download 25-27MBs and upload 4-5MBs
Thanks
Gary
9 REPLIES 9
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Request for speed reinstatement after line fault

You can either wait for the speeds to recover on their own (can take several weeks), or you will need an engineer visit to reset the DLM.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

They wont send a engineer just to do a reset it has to carried out as part of fixing the fault, Plusnet Wouldn't do one for me after my line fault was fixed.
you have no choice but wait to see if DLM increases the profiles back up if at all, it never did for me i'm stuck on the speed i Dropped down to waited over 3 months for DLM to do Something, Plusnet conveniently put the lack of increase down to cross talk, I don't know if that's true or not, personally I believe a reset would get me back but that aint going to happen.
AndyH
Grafter

If a line fault is found with the Openreach network, then Plusnet can ask for a DLM reset.
@ Terranova667 - Ask Plusnet to send you the results of a GEA test if you don't believe them.
gary396
Grafter

Thanks for the replies folks. But I'm a bit surprised to read them as I thought (from previous forum readings etc) that PN have been pretty good in the past with getting things reset in this way. At least they were a good while back when my speeds needed a 'nudge'. Maybe things have changed for the worse then? Hope not, but a pity if so. Thanks again for replying.
Hopefully someone from PN will add their thoughts.  Smiley
AndyH
Grafter

Plusnet cannot reset your line for FTTC - they can for ADSL, but they do not have this option for FTTC.
What's your IP Profile (Run http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and then Further Diagnostics)?
gary396
Grafter

Thanks AndyH - didn't know that about the FTTC reset not being possible. I ran the diagnostics with the following results:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 27.46 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is  60 Mbps-36.62 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 36.62 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.97Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
I'm puzzled why it states that the maximum achievable download speed is 36.62 Mbs - as until the phone line fault I was getting 46-48Mbs on average, e.g. 44Mbs just two days before the fault occurred but mid-20Mbs ever since.
So do I need to refer a formal request to PN? Thanks for any advice.
Gary
gary396
Grafter

I seem to recall that Plusnet staff used to respond quite well to requests for assistance / advice such as this on the forum. Is that not the case these days?
DanHodby
Grafter

Morning gary396,
I'm sorry to hear about the speed drops.
I'm slightly puzzled why you aren't getting the full profile speeds on your speed tests. The line is currently getting a throughput of 37MBps, are you running the tests on a wired connection?
The speeds have dropped but usually there's a reason for this, however it is worth raising a fault here so we our faults team are able to investigate further.
Dan
gary396
Grafter

Dan,
Thanks for picking this up.
It's a wired connection and tested with two devices - one an iMac the other a PC with same results. Tried it earlier this morning (0837 hours) and got 27.36Mbs down, 5.54Mbs up - which is fairly typical of late since the phone line fault.
However, just tested it again at 1102 hours after reading your response and got 34.98Mbs and 5.51Mbs respectively (again on both machines) so it looks like the download speed is getting there but the upload is lagging. Curious as to why it's suddenly increased in the last hour or two?
Having said that it's getting there i.e. towards the 36.62Mbs quoted max achievable speed - why is this so much lower than I had before the phone line fault (22.08.14) which was approx. 47Mbs? And will this return or do I need to raise a fault for that.
Gary