cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for profile change has not gone through?

znissu
Dabbler

Request for profile change has not gone through?

Hi
My request for a profile change has gone unresolved. I'm currently on a 6db profile and want to go to a 9db profile as I feel I'm getting high error counts on 6db profile.
I called earlier today and was told that the request had been put through and that I should restart my router after 15mins and the process would be complete.
I followed the steps and the profile hasn't changed. I contacted tech support to follow this up through chat and was told it could take up to 4 hours, it's been almost 6 hours now and there's no change.
Can someone please change this for me?
12 REPLIES 12
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Request for profile change has not gone through?

I've requested the change for you now.
Let us know if it's still not done.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
znissu
Dabbler

Thanks Matthew! Process Complete.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear this one has got through.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
znissu
Dabbler

-I requested the profile change for a stable gaming experience
-I felt the high error seconds were causing spikes/timeouts in ping tests
-However, I feel like the profile change has given me a very noticeable latency increase when playing in game
-There's real latency being experienced now.
-I play CS:GO, which is very sensitive to ping/latency.
-The actual ping response was very good on my 6db profile
-Comparing the two experiences, I prefer the lower latency.
I believe my needs will be best suited to the 6db profile, what would you recommend?
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm surprised there was any noticeable difference in latency to be honest, assuming you're testing with small packets.  What sort of sync speeds were you getting at 6dB and at 9dB? 
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I suppose what might have happened is that znissu's line speed decreased when the 9 dB profile was applied, but their Plusnet Current Line Speed didn't go down promptly, and/or there wasn't a PPP disconnect after the Current Line Speed decreased. In theory, if the Current Line Speed is higher than the actual connection speed, that could cause some issues because Plusnet's traffic prioritisation won't be effective, and if Plusnet send data towards your line faster than your line can carry it, some of it might get dropped.
aesmith
Pro

That could be it, although I would expect it to have resulted in packet loss under load rather than latency.  However there could be queuing delays as well I suppose.  Does BTW queue and shape, or just police?   
As a matter of fact my Plusnet line speed is out of step right now - sync speed 4256, BT profile 3.5meg, Plusnet profile 7.1(!), so I'll see if I can test out the idea.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

BTW not having any queues and just policing is one of the reasons for having these profiles.
aesmith
Pro

OK with minimal queuing the worst case would be either a drop, or having to wait for one preceding maximum size packet, say 15000 bits to account for overheads.  Even at my speed that's under 4ms.
It would be interesting to know the actual figures that znissu saw, both speed and RTT.
znissu
Dabbler

My sync Speeds:
6db = 19-20.5mb
9db = 17-18mb
aesmith
Pro

Cheers.  That should make effectively no difference whatsoever in round trip time or latency.  I think ejs had the answer in the mismatch between Plusnet profile and the BT profile.  As I say, mine is currently mismatched at the moment, and my ping times get hammered harder than normal when I download.
znissu
Dabbler

I agree, it shouldn't do but it's very noticeable. I've actually been timed out a few games as well, that's never happened on the 6db profile and that's the only thing that I've changed.
Could you please reactivate the 6db profile.