Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request To Set Downstream SNR Margin To 6db Please

netspeed
Grafter

Request To Set Downstream SNR Margin To 6db Please

Hi,

My broadband has been running great after an Openreach engineer sorted a line problem back in May, by putting us on a new line. Been running very stable with a downstream SNR of 6db for the past five months. No real connection issues at all.

This afternoon getting some disconnects, but mainly disruption to some streaming services and net use. Checking router it seems the exchange seems to be trying to squeeze speed of my line to the limit, and has dropped SNR to 3db. I'm getting 12 or 13 mb/s downstream just fine with 6db SNR. The SNR dropping to 3 is making my connection unstable for only an extra 1 or 2mb/s. Current readings:

7 - Data rate: 1159/15022
8 - Maximum data rate: 1164/15420
9 - Noise margin: 5.8/3.4
10 - Line attenuation: 15.3/30.5

Can some please set my line so the downstream SNR margin doesn't drop below 6db. I've asked in past, but it doesn't appear to have been done, Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Request To Set Downstream SNR Margin To 6db Please

I'll get that organised for you.

[edit]

That's been done for you and should go through in the next 4 hours.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
netspeed
Grafter

Thanks, Mattew. With 6db, I'm solid as a rock. Why it tries to squeeze the pips out at 3db, I dunno?

Will I need to reboot router for 6db downstream SNR to take effect, or will change just take effect?

netspeed
Grafter

Already answered for me ... just got a forced reboot. And router now reports:

Noise margin:

6.1/6.

Hope it stays there now. Thanks.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

You shouldn't need to reboot the router as the change will cause a resync.

With regards to why DLM will put you on 3db if your line is performing well (I.E not dropping out, no errors)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
netspeed
Grafter

Hi,

Can someone finally fix this issue PERMANENTLY for me. My downstream SNR keeps going down to 3db, even tho you're supposed to have set it at 6db. Just took 15 minutes to get back online after a connection drop. My downstream SNR is back at 3.1db.

I don't know if you need to get engineer to visit exchange to stop it keep trying 3db on the line, but whatever you do at your end doesn't work. The downstream SNR will go to 6db for a while after you set it, then the exchange goes back to trying 3db. I can run sometimes for longish periods of time at 3db. BUT at other times, it becomes unstable. At 6db, on the other hand, I've gone weeks without a disconnect. I prefer the stability of 6db.

Whatever it needs to make the 6db stick for downstream SNR margin, please do it!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've tried a different method to sort this however because we can't turn DLM off I can't promise that it will never go back to 3db.

You should see a change in the next 15 minutes.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
netspeed
Grafter

Thanks, Matthew.

Connection just rebooted itself and router reporting 6db now up and down on SNR Margin. Upload speed is as high as it was before, download speed down about 2mb/s - which is perfectly acceptable to me for stability benefits.

Can I ask what method you're trying this time?

Thanks.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Essentially I've fine-tuned some settings to make DLM think your line isn't good enough for 3db.

The majority of the time this does the trick.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
netspeed
Grafter

Sounds good. Thanks again.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Let us know if it drops again.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team