cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing that dreadful router!

amrplus

Re: Replacing that dreadful router!

Hi,
there seems to be a lot of debate about this subject so I thought I'd attempt to provide a non-technical introduction to this topic.  This applies to the PlusNet fibre (FTTC) service.  If someone's already done this, apologies and please provide a link!
First, it's helpful to realise that:
A) you can connect your computer via a LAN cable to the Openreach box for full-speed internet access.  In other words just unplug the router and plug in your computer and follow the instructions (below, because it needs setting to "PPPoE" mode).
B) The purpose of the router is mainly to let you share that internet connection with your other devices!  Usually with wifi of course.  It also usually provides a vital firewall to protect LAN connected devices from unwanted internet intrusions, and often provides other services important to some users (such as NAT, DHCP, NTP, DNS etc. for the technical). (Thanks to Purleigh for that important addition).
C) It follows that (as many others have helpfully posted) you can replace the "awful" one supplied, with another that meets your wi-fi and other requirements for features better. My experience is that the Technicolor wi-fi is OK, but it drops my connection and needs re-booting every few days.
Any such router MUST support PPPoE protocol and most ADSL modem/routers don't. Most cable modem/routers DO.  Note that website stores/specs sometimes don't mention PPPoE but VDSL, VDSL2 and FTTC compatibility should mean the same thing (IMHO).
Some models that do according to others (but I haven't used) are:

• BT Home Hub 3 (and earlier models apparently)
    NETGEAR WNR2200  (this is also used by Zen)
    TP-Link WR1043ND (make sure you update the firmware)
    NetGear N600 WNDR3400
    D-Link DAP-1533 (check reviews if considering)
    ASUS RT-N66U  (good reviews but expensive)
    Buffalo HighPower 450Mbps N300
    Technicolor TG789v3
    Technicolor TG670
    Draytek Vigor 2920n
    Apple Airport Extreme

Next week I'll try an Apple Airport Express (it has PPPoE so may well work)
and I hope others will post their experiences under this thread - as I will soon.
D) There are some devices that also combine the function of the Openreach box and wifi router in a single device.  This should be neater and only needs one power socket, but of course creates a single point of failure and is a bit more expensive.
I've ordered a Draytek Vigor 2760n and ... installed it yesterday.  It didn't work 'out of the box' but Draytek support was good and after loading the V 1.2.0 firmware it's been fast with strong wifi (11n) and is nice and compact.  I'm getting this: Line mode VDSL 17A; Line Uptime 00:13:49:09; Downstream Line Rate 60264 kbps; Upstream Line Rate 14380 kbps.  It's about 10k faster downstream than the Technicolor and stable so far.  Fingers rossed.
================ Instructions to connect your computer via a LAN cable to the Openreach box (from PlusNet)
Connect your computer directly to the BT modem with an Ethernet cable and set up a "dial-up connection" on your computer.
While doing this, make sure that you have a firewall on your computer, as the fibre modem provides a direct connection to the internet.
How to set up a Dial Up Connection on Windows
First, connect an Ethernet cable to the LAN1 socket on your fibre modem and the Ethernet socket on your computer.
Set the Dial Up connection on your PC as follows:
   Go to Control Panel -> Network Connections
   Create a new connection
   Connect to the Internet
   Set up my Connection Manually
   Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password (PPPoE)
   ISP Name ? Test Connection
   Enter the broadband username and password
   Finish and click connect
Windows 7 Users:
Your computer will try and test the connection during the setup; this will fail and give you an error. Click Skip or Continue and then after clicking finish right click the new connection icon and click properties. Under Service Name enter Test Connection then click OK. Then double click the new connection icon and click connect.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Replacing that dreadful router!

Quote from: amrplus
B) The purpose of the router is solely to let you share that internet connection with your other devices!

I would add that it usually provides a vital firewall to protect LAN connected devices from unwanted internet intrusions.
I my case the router provides my LAN with it's IPv6 tunnel endpoint, so my network can use IPv6 over Plusnet's IPv4 connection.
For many people the router also provides DHCP, DNS, and NTP functionality.
What would 'vilefoxdemonofdoom' do if his router didn't provide NAT ?  Roll_eyes