cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing that dreadful router!

pattojones

Replacing that dreadful router!

Good afternoon one and all,
I am a very new PN customer. So far, an abysmal service: missed appointments; technical errors (phone not connected before fibre install), etc..... truly awful service. Made Sky look competent!
Its all now set up and working but the supplied router is awful. Awful looking (cheap and nasty) and awful wifi signal.
I am looking to bin this piece of garbage asap.
- Can I use any of the BT Home Hub 3, 4 or 5? Will PN assist me with all the settings I need?
- Anybody else done this? What router did you go for? I'm thinking Asus RT-N56U but it is a bit expensive!
I know I need to wait 10 days for the line to 'train' and all that but the wifi signal is the wifi signal, surely!?
Many thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Replacing that dreadful router!

Hi there,
Sorry you're not happy with the router, but yes - any of those home hubs will work fine with our service, all you need is your username and password for the router. Username will be accountusername@plusdsl.net and your password the same one you use to log in to our website.
There's a fair few others on here who do like the Asus routers though if you opt for one of those, there's a couple of threads in this board about them too Smiley
Hope that helps, and sorry about the bad start - hope things get better from here.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: pattojones
missed appointments

Did you get any compensation?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pattojones

Nope. Nothing.
jim:quote
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Here is a guide I have made, which is found in the library section by typing 'BT'
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/using-a-bt-homehub-3-or-2-on-plusnet-adsl-or-fttc/
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
thesawdust
Grafter

hardwire another router or home hub to the current PN router. Change IP and disable DHCP of the second router/homehub
My cheaper option  Huh
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@Thesawdust
Not cheaper as it uses more power if you have 2 routers on , simpler to just use bt hub in its own connected to Plusnet
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
thesawdust
Grafter

What does a router cost to run?  Shocked
not really going to hurt the bank  Cool
markm9
Grafter

i replaced my PN router with the Asus RT-N56U, a couple of months ago, as i found wireless coverage wasnt the best with PN router, also only supports 2.4GHz, Asus supports both 2.4, and 5 GHz, wireless coverage excellent, also not bad looking router, yes it cost me £80 from amazon but well worth the money  Wink
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@TheSawDust
Every little helps.
Some people can't afford to just throw money about!
wykehamhouse
Grafter

I've just recieved a TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 today and I've flashed it with the open-source 'Gargoyle' firmware. This firmware has a feature where-by the router will limit the speed of each computer/device so all devices can be online at the same time with no slow-down, lag, etc. It's really working really well so far.
I'd definitely recommend this coupled with a simple ADSL/VDSL modem.
PeeGee
Pro

Quote from: thesawdust
What does a router cost to run?

using "close approximations"  Wink 1W continuous is 8.76 units per annum, so between £1.05 and £1.40 per annum per Watt (from current tariffs checked)
Rule of thumb: no more than 8.76*<pence per unit>*<W rating>  or £1 per annum per Watt at 11.4p per unit - £1.50 @ 17p per unit
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
pattojones

Been looking at the TP-Link TL-WDR3500. Will this be any better (wifi signal strength)?? My house is stud walls inside, not foil lined. It is quite a way from the lounge to the router and I did think to move the router more centrally but those flippin' wires everywhere! Wired D/L is about 60meg and I was estimated at around 56; Wireless is 10ish!! Can the wireless capability of the Thomson be that poor? I understand that speed and signal are different, so what accounts for the connection speed reduction?
wykehamhouse
Grafter

The WDR3600 has pretty good range, however, I'd recommend the WDR4300, which has three antennae for REALLY good range.
eok01923

Quote from: markm9
i replaced my PN router with the Asus RT-N56U, a couple of months ago, as i found wireless coverage wasnt the best with PN router, also only supports 2.4GHz, Asus supports both 2.4, and 5 GHz, wireless coverage excellent, also not bad looking router, yes it cost me £80 from amazon but well worth the money  Wink

Do you use anything special by way of firmware on the RT-N56U? Looking at this and also the N66U (seems bit excessive for my needs) and just wondering if the default stock FW will be reliable enough w/o too much tweaking?
I'm remote from the site but have non tech users there as well, so need something dependable but with good wireless perf....been disappointed with the Technicolor on the latter.