cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Technicolour TG582n

carlwalters
Dabbler

Replacing Technicolour TG582n

Hello, we've been on Plusnet Unlimited Fibre for bout 12 months and the wired speed to my PC (using TP-Link connections) has been pretty good (averaging about 72Mbps).  However the wireless connection is really not great at all and I would like to improve this if I can for all the various iPods and Kindles  that are scattered through the house.  I've seen that the  ASUS RT-N66  http://amzn.to/1ckvKJV for about £110 seems to get reviewed very well and I wondered if I could simply replace the supplied Technicolour TG-582n with this? Do Plusnet allow you to do this, and if so is it a fairly straightforward procedure? My main PC runs Ubuntu so this may be another issue.
4 REPLIES 4
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Replacing Technicolour TG582n

Hi,
When you say TP-Link Connects are you referring to Powerline Adapters?
If so you can also get a TP-Link Powerline Adapter with a built in Wireless Access Point, in some ways this would be better than replacing the router as it could be the position of the router in your house which is the issue not wireless performance of the TG582n. The Wireless Access Point can be positioned in the house to cover the poor reception areas.
I and many other use these Wireless Access Point devices with very good results.
Hope this helps
Dan.
dragon2611
Grafter

Plusnet don't mind which router you use as long as it's not causing problems for their network.
On some packages they even offer the option to decline having their router sent out,  If you had a problem with your service they might ask you to connect their router for a while to assist with the diagnostic processes (Testing with known compatible kit that support are familiar with helps a lot)  but otherwise you should be fine.
carlwalters
Dabbler

Quote from: Dandroid
Hi,
When you say TP-Link Connects are you referring to Powerline Adapters?
If so you can also get a TP-Link Powerline Adapter with a built in Wireless Access Point, in some ways this would be better than replacing the router as it could be the position of the router in your house which is the issue not wireless performance of the TG582n. The Wireless Access Point can be positioned in the house to cover the poor reception areas.
I and many other use these Wireless Access Point devices with very good results.
Hope this helps
Dan.

Hi Dan, 
thanks for the reply. 
Yes I'm using TP-Link Powerline adapters (500Mbps) to get internet connection into to my 2 PCs and 1 PS3 which are fixed location.
The problem is the various Kindles, Tablets, iPods that roam about the house.
I hadn't realised that TP-Link did a Powerline Wireless Extender - is this http://amzn.to/1fBBRnu  the sort of thing you mean?
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,
Yes that is the product I refer to, all you need to do is make sure the one you select is compatible with your existing Powerline Adapters.
Dan.