cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement router

shure
Grafter

Replacement router

After years of faithful service my trusty Netgear DG834PN has started to drop wireless connections intermittently, so it may be time for a change.  I'm on 8Mbps Unlimited and not keen on using the limited functionality and performance of the Plusnet supplied router.  I live in an old Victorian house and found the Netgear was much better at getting a signal to penetrate the thick brick walls and was superb at keeping a connection for weeks on end (while the PN router used to drop it several times a day).  My son is constantly streaming video, uses Xbox and we Skype a reasonable amount, so I want something which can handle the high demand and preferably has QoS.
I've heard good things of the Asus RT-N66U but less positive things of its modem equipped sister DSL-N66U.  My question is would I be advised to get a separate modem such as the D-Link DSL-320B and the Asus RT-N66U, or is an all in one solution better?  Keeping the Netgear as a modem only (along with the RT-N66U) is also a possibility.  I was also considering the Billion BiPAC 7800N but am a little concerned at some reviews about it's performance through solid walls.
Any advice gratefully received

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Replacement router

I had a 7800N and had no performance issues with WiFi, though I live in a new build..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shure
Grafter

sorry, do you mean no performance or no problems with performance?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

ooops, sorry about that - it was a rubbish sentence Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shure
Grafter

No takers at all?  Is it advisable to get an all singing all dancing router on an 8Mbps line (close to exchange) or am I better off having a bonfire and burning pound notes?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

All depends on exactly what your problem is.
When you state you are getting drops, do you mean WiFi or ADSL?  If ADSL it could be your line rather than your router?
Let's have a look at the router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shure
Grafter

Hi Townman,
thanks for replying.  Getting stats will be a little tricky.  I'm currently abroad temporarily but my wife and kids are reporting issues.  Unfortunately, none of them are particularly router savvy.  The reason I'm laying the blame at WiFi's door is when I rang up my son was happily viewing a film he was downloading but nobody was able to get a wireless connection.  I couldn't Skype (on their mobiles) or WhatsApp them as they weren't getting any signal at all (we live in a poor mobile reception area to cap it off: when at home everybody switches to WiFi).  This points to a wireless issue since there was clearly an internet connection from the fixed-line PC.  Took a number of router reboots to finally get anywhere and even then it was only sorted out when everybody rebooted their own equipment, too.  I have everyone on fixed IP addresses set up within the router so they shouldn't be having IP conflicts.
Thing is, the DG834PN has always been rock solid and almost never has any issues.  I don't have the best line (although I'm only 281m from the exchange) and the PN supplied 582n was constantly dropping connection when I first signed up, which cleared up immediately after I pulled my own DG834PN out of retirement.  I once went more than 6 months without dropping the connection once!  But lately the family has reported lost connections and sluggishness on a reasonably regular basis.  I'm sure the fact that my kids download more than 150GB of films and TV shows a month might be interfering with speed, but I shouldn't have thought that the connection would be lost?  I'm wondering if the Netgear is running out of puff and wondered whether an upgrade might make a difference.  I'm not expecting miracles as I'm only on an 8MB line, but I wanted to know whether a more modern router might be able to generate a stronger signal.  Since I Skype a fair amount too I was hoping that a replacement router might also get rid of the blockiness and poor signal I often get, since I should have thought 8MB (and an average 25-75ms ping) would be able to return a decent video signal.
I'd rather not splash more cash than I have to but I'd be loathe to go back to the 582n, since the two I had from PN were pretty mediocre performance-wise and the constant reboots were playing havoc with DLM.  Since my line is apparently not the best I want a router that holds a good connection as well as one that can burrow though Victorian anti-WiFi walls.  Being able to use QoS would be great, too, as then my kids' TV habits wouldn't take over everything else.  I identified the Asus as being pretty good but suspect that might be the equivalent of buying a Ferrari to pop down to the shops in.  I'm open to suggestion
edit: should add that I'm back home for a week at the beginning of June so wanted to get the replacement router (if necessary) by then so I could set it up.