cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement for an ailing Thomson Speedtouch ST516 v6 1-port wired router

Mrtoad

Replacement for an ailing Thomson Speedtouch ST516 v6 1-port wired router

Hi,
I need to replace my ailing Thomson Speedtouch ST516 v6 1-port wired router which I think is starting to fail, I bought it from Plusnet three years ago when I signed up for their broadband package and I would be very grateful for suggestions as to a suitable replacement.
I live in a very rural and isolated part of north Wales so it is easier for me to buy from Amazon and have it delivered, particularly as I don't drive.
I thought this might be a good alternative, I want to keep to a wired device:
TP-Link TD-8816 ADSL2+ Modem Router
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-8816-ADSL2-Modem-Router/dp/B002CAVRV2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=...
However, if anyone has bought something better or if this isn't a suitable replacement then I'd be very pleased to hear.
Perhaps I should ask what is the current wired router offered by Plusnet?
2 REPLIES 2
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Re: Replacement for an ailing Thomson Speedtouch ST516 v6 1-port wired router

Plusnet don't sell a wired-only router anymore. You'll be sent the wireless (but also wired, with four ethernet ports) Thomson TG582N (if you choose to get one from Plusnet, that is).
If you sign a new contract, you'll get sent one for free, if not, does anybody know how much it would be?
Laser
Grafter

Re: Replacement for an ailing Thomson Speedtouch ST516 v6 1-port wired router

I have used a TP-Link TD-8840T for the last couple of years without problems. I'm not sure if the only difference is the number of ports or whether the 8816 is an older design altogether. The 8816 seems to get far more negative reviews on Amazon.