cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Router

richcm

Replacement Router

So deciding that the stock supplied Technicolor POS Router is in fact a POS, are there any recommendations for better routers or anything i should be looking for to replace the one supplied?
hows this one as an example?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-068-TP&groupid=46&catid=1595&subcat=1932
11 REPLIES 11
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Replacement Router

There are already several threads detailing what we recommend.
Have a look through the forum and you will see the answers.
richcm

yeah looking...a sticky would have been nice if it's a highly requested thing
SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi richcm
What makes you think the supplied Technicolor is a POS?
What problems did you have when you tried it?
richcm

well apart from a terrible ui, reset time, build quality and being nearly as ugly as me Cheesy it's great
One thing i have noticed is since it's replaced my old bethere router (same position in house) the Technicolor's signal doesn't even reach the back garden (not that far) like the be router did (kinda essential)
thomasjc1
Grafter

I got a asus rt-n66u for fibre as well as many others on here and it's brilliant
richcm

Thanks for the suggestion Thomas Smiley
SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: richcm
well apart from a terrible ui, reset time, build quality and being nearly as ugly as me Cheesy it's great
One thing i have noticed is since it's replaced my old bethere router (same position in house) the Technicolor's signal doesn't even reach the back garden (not that far) like the be router did (kinda essential)

Hi richcm
You don't say if you are on ADSL or FTTC.
If ADSL, I doubt you will fine a basic modem that performs better.
Agree UI not good but once set up does it really matter as all basic information is shown.
Not sure about reset time as mine is on all the time.
Build quality is ok. Even some much more expensive modem/router are 'all plastic'.
Looks/design is a personal matter. I quite like the basic design and also prefer a matt white finish to a glossy black (shows up finger prints, dust etc.).
As your main concern appears to be the wireless performance, I suggest you spend your money on this area e.g run more cable to nearer your main areas of use and/or installing/using Home Plugs and wireless extenders.
All IMO.

richcm

Hi richcm
You don't say if you are on ADSL or FTTC.
If ADSL, I doubt you will fine a basic modem that performs better.
Agree UI not good but once set up does it really matter as all basic information is shown.
As your main concern appears to be the wireless performance, I suggest you spend your money on this area e.g run more cable to nearer your main areas of use and/or installing/using Home Plugs and wireless extenders.
All IMO.

Sorry Smiley is FTTC
I think i can live with the rest but the WiFi is terrible, so looking at the suggestion above.
mikehiow
Grafter

I've always hated using Wi-fi until I got an RT-N66U.
100mbps+ all over the house. I can't argue with that.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

If you want to save some money try the Asus RT-N56U. I love mine & the wireless is amazing. I'm running 2 laptops, 2 Nexus tablets, internet TV, printer & my Western Digital My Book Live constant back up. Everything runs at 100% of my predicted speeds.
richcm

Quote from: mikehiow
I've always hated using Wi-fi until I got an RT-N66U.
100mbps+ all over the house. I can't argue with that.

In the end went for the same and download speed went from 20 to 30