cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace BT Openreach modem with Home Hub 5

kamalaggi
Dabbler

Replace BT Openreach modem with Home Hub 5

Can I just replace the BT openreach modem with the Home Hub 5 and make it function like the openreach modem while using the Ethernet ports on the home hub 5 to connect to my skyhd box and tv.
I plan to keep my netgear DGND4000 router as my printer is connected to this and shared over the network via USB.
Currently I have a 20 metre Ethernet cable going from my BT openreach modem downstairs to my netgear router upstairs. I plan to disable the wift on the home hub 5.
if it's not possible could I convert my netgear dgnd4000 to a wireless print server???

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Replace BT Openreach modem with Home Hub 5

You are going to have two DHCP servers on the network with that setup which will cause problems unless you can disable one or run each router with its own subnet - that will rule out using the printer from the other router though.
So in short - it won't be straightforward but may be possible.
kamalaggi
Dabbler

I will give it a try when I get back home from my holidays. I won't be using the wifi on the bt home hub 5 just the netgear router.
How would I connect both routers? Would I connect WAN to WAN or WAN to LAN or LAN to LAN
jim:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

if it's not possible could I convert my netgear dgnd4000 to a wireless print server???
Yes, Disable DHCP on it, give it a LAN IP in the same subnet as the HH5 ( but outside its DHCP range ) and then connect it to the HH5 via one of it's LAN ports.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kamalaggi
Dabbler

Thanks guys for your replies. I finally managed to get it working after hours of trying.
I connected my Ethernet cable from the homehub (LAN Port) to the netgear (LAN Port) and disabled DHCP on the netgear and set it as a wireless access point.
I can now use wifi, Ethernet ports and print from both routers.
Tibbie
Grafter

Just one question, I have just done similar with a Netgear DGN 1000, the supplied 582 being the boss, but do I set the Netgear wi-fi to the same as the TG582 SSID, password and channel,  that is what I have done and it seems to work, but is it correct ?
dick:quote
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

That's fine, but depending on the local wireless access points, it may be better using different wireless channels for each router (separated by at least 5 channels i.e. 1, 6 or 11).