cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace BT Open Reach modem

noverity

Replace BT Open Reach modem

Hi,
I just wondered if it is possible to replace the fibre modem that I was given. It just suddenly died yesterday. Checked the cable and everything and seems to be the modem itself not turning on anymore. I raised a support ticket, but apparently it takes over 32 hours to respond to those and even if they send a new one it will probably take ages for it to arrive and I don't really want to wait that long without internet. Is there a modem I could buy somewhere to replace it or does it come with login details etc. so it can't be replaced.
If it is replaceable what would I need? Just some random VDSL modem? Is that easily available somewhere?
4 REPLIES 4
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Replace BT Open Reach modem

Plenty of modems on ebay - Search for 'openreach modem'.  The modem doesn't have any config info and will be a direct swap.
You'll see that ECI modems are the cheapest - That's because they're not as easy to hack as the Huawei version to get line stats etc.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi noverity,
I've just tried to call you, sorry I wasn't able to get through.
I've had a look into this for you and we can get an engineer sent out to supply you with a new modem and also check your connection at the cabinet to ensure there's no fault present. Can you please get back to us with 3 appointment slots you'd be available for. AM appointments are between 8AM and 1PM and PM appointments are between 1PM and 6PM. At the moment (appointments are subject to change) I can see that we've got tomorrow available and Saturday as well if these days suit you at all?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to me on the ticket, noverity.
As confirmed on there - the engineer's appointment is booked for 21/06/2014 between 8AM and 1PM to install a new BT modem and also to check for any faults on your line. Let us know how it goes!
dragon2611
Grafter

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=16234
I have NO idea if its any good or not seems to be the cheapest router I saw that has an inbuilt vdsl modem.
Otherwise look on ebay for a standalone modem.