cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeater router speed.

Devonian
Grafter

Repeater router speed.

Just before Christmas I bought a Netgear R600.
I found the wireless to be awful, so bad in fact that I thought it was faulty and returned it, to find the replacement was the same.
Anyway I then set it up combined with a Netgear DGND3300v2 as a repeater, to find out that using it that way, I had no security on the wireless.
So I returned the R600 for a refund.
Currently I have a Netgear DGND3300v2 as the main router, and another DGND3300v2 as a repeater, with basic WEP security, as that is all it can use.
They work perfectly together, the wireless range is enormous now, which is why I needed the repeater, to fix poor wireless range through the house.
The main router over wireless gives out the full line speed in other words the routers is syncd at 16353down/888up and wired and wireless gives the same throughput of around 15/16meg.
The repeater however, both wired and wireless gives exactly half of that.
I have checked the wireless channels and settings, and it doesn't change at all.
Is there anything I can do to change this?
3 REPLIES 3
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Repeater router speed.

If the above is a correct example of your network, you will only get half the speed because your repeating.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think using WEP usually disables 11n wireless speeds so you'll be restricted to using 11g speeds. 11g is probably adequate for 16Mb throughput at the main router, but not at the secondary if that has to be both receiving data from the main router and transmitting it to a computer at almost the same time.
If you can't avoid WEP, there's sometimes a setting for allowing 11n rates with WEP anyway.
Devonian
Grafter

The above diagram is correct.
I thought the repeater would be at half speed, but for the life of me I can't understand why.
I thought the repeater was just an extension of the wireless signal?
Mind you I can't understand why the security is restricted to WEP or none at all, I mean nobody would have an open network, and even WEP isn't great.
And yes by the way, it broadcast on 11N.