cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote access to a camera

braven35

Remote access to a camera

I have set up a camera on my Mother's network, and I want to access it remotely. I have configured the DDNS settings on the router, and UPnP, as recommended by the camera maker (Amcrest).

DNS seems to be working fine. The provider (no-ip) are getting address updates.

However, I can't connect to the camera remotely. I have tried traceroute from my home (Virgin Media), and packets get as far as core2-hu0-18-0-0.southbank.ukcore.bt.net [62.172.103.24] before they start timing out.

If I try from my mobile phone (Three) I get to a similar server, then after a very long pause, the IP address registered for my domain name.

I may be missing something obvious. If so I would be grateful if somebody could point me at it.

Plusnet technical support (via chat) were unable to offer any help. Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough.

5 REPLIES 5
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Remote access to a camera

A very quick look at Amcrest's website suggests you can have them acting as a "man in the middle" to record the camera output.

Firstly does that work.

Secondly can you see the camera "inside" the network at your mothers home ? (connect to WiFi or use a computer there).

I assume that the port forwarding on the router seems able to connect to the device. It might be a good idea to try (briefly) connecting to a different device by port forwarding to show that works.

I am the satisfied customer....
braven35

Thanks for replying, and for your suggestion.

Access to the camera works fine from the same network. I haven't tried port forwarding, as I got the impression that UPnP was a better alternative (but only if it works, I suppose). I'll give port forwarding a try the next time I visit.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

One other (general) comment.

When domestic network security issues are mentioned cameras are one device often cited.

Personally, unless there is another reason to not do so, I would put a second router behind the one with port forwarding to a camera on it to produce a "safe" network for computers and other devices on it and an "insecure" network with the camera(s) on it.

How important an approach like that is depends on what other devices are attached and if the router can isolate WiFi devices much of the same benefit can be achieved.

I am the satisfied customer....
grahamw
Hooked

I agree with markhawkin, it can be dangerous putting these devices directly on the internet. You can reduce the risk considerably by locking the camera down as much as possible. Make sure the camera has the lateest firmware installed and change the user name and password.

To allow the camera to be accessable from outside the local network  you need to setup port forwarding on the router. Make sure you don't use the default browser port which is port 80.

The internal port needs to be set to 80 but use any port number up to 65535 for the external port. Eg if you decide to use port 44123 you need to add this to your URL to access the camera from the internet:-

normal.url:44123

Hope this helps.

braven35

I appreciate your suggestions.

The reason for the connection is primarily to allow me and my siblings to keep an eye on our mother, who is an elderly lady who lives on her own. So, for the majority of the time, the only devices on the network will be a couple of cameras. I have already taken care of much of what you suggest, namely changing the router username and password, and not using the default http port to access the cameras, but I will look into the idea of an additional router.

Thanks again.