cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Desktop Web Connection with Broadband Unlimited

dza

Remote Desktop Web Connection with Broadband Unlimited

How would Microsofts Remote Desktop Web Connection be classified under Broadband Unlimited? Would it be a VPN?
Remote Desktop Web Connection is an ActiveX app in IE that creates a connection to your desktop from another computer.
If it is classified as a VPN and subject to traffic shaping , what is the likely effect? Have people noticed a detirioration in service on VPN? Can the access speeds dip considerably below 2Mb?
I need it for work, so I need a reliable, fairly quick connection. At the moment i'm on Premier 1 and it's fine, should I switch or stick with that?
Thanks for any advice you can give
3 REPLIES 3
James
Grafter

Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection with Broadband Unlimited

Hi Dza,
It'll be rate limited to 2Mbps.  However, that should be perfectly ample for your remote desktop connection.
scootie
Grafter

my lines 2.5mb and i use to remote assist my sister computer and never had any problems so 2mb down cap should be fine. unlimited uploads are not capped on any traffic.
my sister has moved in with me now so i cant tell you how remote desktop performs on unlimited for certain but should be fine
samuria
Grafter

The thing with RDP is that it was designed as Terminal  Server and speeds as low as 56K will work very well. It only send screen refresh and needs very low bandwidth. I used to admin a network from home on a 56k modem with no problems.
See how to tune RDP used here at 19.K
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/learnmore/russel_august27.mspx