cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redy for off

robert1935
Grafter

Redy for off

In a few weeks time my contract with PN expires will I be renewing methinks not !!!
For 12 months I have not had the full use of my smart TV cos I need a download speed of 3meg+ and for most of that time its been been only 2meg+
My profile is so erratic, sometimes it is 4+ and other times its 2+ no good to me.just had a new master socket fit by a BT engineer and he said the line supports 4meg+ so whats wrong PN
Apart from this continual gripe I am perfectly happy with PN, so Iif you want to keep my custom PN you have one more chance a constant download speed of 3meg+ or I'm orf  Sad Sad
Nearly all of my neighbors have speeds of 3 or 4 meg+
5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Redy for off

I seem to recall you settled on  using the Plusnet supplied TG582n router after the exchange problems last summer.
Did you ever try your previous BT business hub for any extended period of time to see if it made any difference?
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
picbits
Rising Star

If you do decide to move, please post back with your experience of your new ISP (either good or bad). It will be interesting to see if anyone else could squeeze any more out of your line.
robert1935
Grafter

Quote from: zZz
I seem to recall you settled on  using the Plusnet supplied TG582n router after the exchange problems last summer.
Did you ever try your previous BT business hub for any extended period of time to see if it made any difference?

I tried everything zZz except connecting it to the kitchen sink !!!
What confuses me is one day it was 3.49meg and next it was less than 3meg. going down to 2.75meg.
When I was with TalkTalk it very rarely dropped below 3.5meg, I only changed to PN because a sales person guaranteed me the same at a cheaper price if I switched to PN. Cry Cry Cry
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

My suggestions for squeezing a little more speed out of the line are:
Set the 582n to adsl2 not adsl2+. Has to be done via telnet, so may be too difficult to do:
xdsl config adslmultimode=adsl2
saveall

Use a different modem/router. Matching the chipset to the exchange equipment might help, so a BT Home Hub 3.0A or 4 would be appropriate for Plusnet and other ISPs that use BTWholesale exchange equipment (not LLU suppliers). My good old netgear dg834g v3 usually manages around this speed, and it's tweaked for extra stability and lower sync speed, plus I don't even have a modern master socket, I'm stuck with old fashioned star wiring:
[tt]US Connection Rate:    882    DS Connection Rate:    3710
DS Line Attenuation:    57.7    DS Margin:              5.8
US Line Attenuation:    36.2    US Margin:              4.3[/tt]
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Robert,
I wish you good luck.  You can change your ISP, but you cannot change the circuits to your residence.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.