cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduction in broadband speed without notice.

StuMac
Dabbler

Reduction in broadband speed without notice.

Hi, I've been with plusnet for aprrox 18 months now, my broadband speed started off at around 1.5Mbs then went down to less than 1Mbs, I contacted you and you raised it back to 1.3Mbs. I recently had a problem with my connection being dropped meaning that my speed was reduced to 250kbs, I submitted a fault log and you raised it 1Mbs. I have now noticed today that you have further reduced it down to 750Kbs without any form of contact what so ever. If I had received a simple e-mail explaining why you keep reducing the speed I might not feel so dissappointed.
Please could someone look into my broadband speed and preferably raise it back to 1.5Mbs (or as close as possible) or at least tell me why it is only half the speed you orginally supplied (I realise it may vary and takes about 10 days to settle, but it was around 1.5Mbs for a couple of months so wasn't just a peak/spike).
Any help or communication would be gratefully received.
16 REPLIES 16
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Reduction in broadband speed without notice.

Hi StuMac,
I'll take a quick look for you. We don't put your speeds up or down, it's done by BTs Dynamic Line Management (DLM)
Jojo Smiley
Apprentice
Grafter

If you have issues with your line and it causes the connection to drop then BT Wholesale's equipment (DLM) in the exchange has possibly raised the noise margin to stabilise the connection. If the router resynced at a lower rate/speed than previous due to the loss of connection then it's likely that the IP profile has dropped hence your poor throughput speed.
Could you post your line stats > http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
The BT PT will give the IP profile and other data > http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi StuMac,
Your current BT profile is 750k, so regardless of what we do it won't go faster than that. Are you using any extension cables/sockets before your router? If so, can you try plugging your filter directly into the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
StuMac
Dabbler

Thank you for looking in to it so quickly. Unfortunately it must be an old socket and it does not have the test socket for internet.
Last time I submitted a fault ticket my BT profile had been reduced to 250k but you were able to raise it, I'm just wondering whether is it an on-going BT problem now?
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

StuMac
Quote from: Matt
Hi there,
You've definitely done the right thing in raising a fault, it looks like you've an intermittent connection issue that has caused your profile to drop:

Looks like it might be a recurrence of the previous problem, was it ever diagnosed or did it just clear up itself?
I have old wiring myself, and disconnecting the ring circuit took my download from 1 Mbps to 4 Mbps  Cool
I recommend you do what Apprentice says and publish your stats so all can see what your line should be capable of  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
StuMac
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Peter,
Disconecting the ring supply...do you mean disconecting the wiring from your extension sockets in your main socket?
According to BT (just done a check now if I were to switch to Bt), they say the speed would be between 0.75 and 2.5Mbs.
I think last time I had the fault, they just reset the line (not sure of the exact terminology).
I'll look into doing the tests and see if I can post up the stats for my line.
Many thanks.
ADSL     
  Type  Interleave Path   
  Status  SHOWTIME   
    Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)  1088Kb 448Kb

Noise Margin  7 15

Output power(dBm)  0 168

Attenuation(dB)  64 31

not sure if these stats are any help
PeterLoftus
Pro

Have a look here  Cheesy
Quote from: PeterLoftus
Thanks JoJo
I think God and PN help those who help themselves.  Wink
We have come a long way in the last few weeks me and my new friends on the forum but it takes a lot of self help. if Oldjim hadnet guided me with the ringing circuit I would still have been on 1.5 Mbps  Smiley
But I have some technical knowledge from another field so can be guided  Cool
I have been waiting for things to stabilise, but am generally pleased when you consider where we started from  Smiley

the guys on the forum as you will se on this thread helped me to disconnect two of the four wires in my old sockets. The modern test sockets automatically disconnect all your extensions when you are testing. We dont have the benefit of that with the old sockets.  Roll_eyes
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
StuMac
Dabbler

Thank you, very helpful, I'll take a look at that. Thanks again Smiley
PeterLoftus
Pro

I'll leave it to the experts but 64 dB attenuation look like your a long way from the exchange Sad
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
StuMac
Dabbler

I can't remember the exact distance as the crow flies but I think its between 1 and 2 miles.
I'm such a dummy, just unscrewed the socket to check and found the test socket! Plugged the filter and lines into the test socket now. (is it right to still have the filter in, I can't see another way of connecting the internet as they are different type sockets).

Edit: just looked up in my account, and the last fault was only on Oct 24 2011, sounds like its the same problem maybe?
matt_2k34
Grafter

quite possibly the same problem.
Yes thats the test socket and you DO need the filter too, 64dB would put you quite some distance from the exchange...
Can you post the routerstats please
See Here for how to do that...
Regards
StuMac
Dabbler

thanks for the replies,
Router stats (hope thats the info needed)

ADSL      
  Type  Interleave Path    
  Status  SHOWTIME    
    Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)  1184Kb 448Kb

Noise Margin  10 15

Output power(dBm)  119 167

Attenuation(dB)  64 31

Currently running at 646kbs (according to bt speed test) and line has been downgraded to 750kbs Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI StuMac,
Is it still plugged into the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
StuMac
Dabbler

Sorry, was away for a few days. Yes, I've left it plugged in to the test socket.