Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced speeds the past couple of weeks

Wiggz89
Hooked

Reduced speeds the past couple of weeks

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my internet speeds being a lot slower the past couple of weeks or so - I used to consistently get 4.5MB/s downloads, however lately I'll be lucky to reach anything higher than 1.8MB/s.

I had a look on my account for more information and these are my mentioned speeds:

• Product:  Unlimited Fibre
  • Estimated Download Range:  12 - 14Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range:  4 - 5Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed:  14.3Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download):  40Mbps

This aligns with the lower performance I'm having recently, however, when I checked an old email from when I renewed my contract, it stated this:

At peak times, we estimate that you'll get the following speeds on your line:Download: 31 - 40MbUpload: 6 - 10MbMinimum Guaranteed Speed: 27.6Mb

Is there any reason such a large reduction in guaranteed speeds? This change of speed did not happen when I renewed my contract, which was back in March.

Would it please be possible for someone to check my line for any faults, or reasons for such a reduction in performance?

I have a PlusNet Hub One.

Test results:

1.png2.png

I saw this was requested in another thread too:

3.png

Any assistance would be much appreciated, thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Reduced speeds the past couple of weeks

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

John
Wiggz89
Hooked

Hi John,

Thanks for the help and apologies for the delay getting back.

I acquired a landline phone to test, and I experienced a loud humming/buzzing sound even before I dialed. Can't hear anything except the buzzing when dialing a number either, so I reported it using the link you provided. The service came back saying there was no fault on my line and everything is working. I also got them to test my broadband using the number in the second link and all came back fine, so I've ordered a new micro-filter in case that's causing the problem. If that doesn't fix it, I'll speak to an advisor.

Fingers crossed!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

I know PN 'claim' nothing is wrong, but your explanation suggests otherwise. you could try plugging the phone directly into the test socket on the master socket directly and see if the noise is eliminated, but I doubt that will work.

John
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

@Wiggz89 - Would you mind sending me a DM with some pictures of the front and back of the router and I'll see how I can help. Thanks

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@James30  That seems to be a strange request when the fault looks very likely to be a noisy phone line.🤔

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@RealAleMadrid - In terms of our process we go with what the customer is reporting which is a speed issue. The pictures will help get an understanding of how it's all connected and confirm how the router is connected to the phone line that could be causing the noises. We wouldn't really want the customer to go out of the way to obtain a phone and new filter etc when they are reporting a speed issue.

@Wiggz89 - Feel free to send me some pictures but if you could at least confirm that when you dialled 17070, you had only the phone plugged in without a micro filter and removed all extensions and have connected the phone to the test socket under the front plate?

In terms of our process, it’s not vital that we identify a phone fault or broadband fault at this stage due to the copper line test passing and after all when I report a broadband fault to Openreach, that will also remedy a phone issue at the same time.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Plusnet Help Team
Wiggz89
Hooked

Hi James,
Thanks for getting back to me. I confirm that I took the face plate off the master socket and plugged the phone in directly. The face plate appears to be a microfilter so that's why I figured I'd try replacing it to see if that helped.
When picking up the phone, the humming/buzzing was so loud that I can't actually tell if it's dialing the number or not when I input the numbers (and it doesn't stop when entering the full number). I also tried calling my landline number from my mobile, and the phone did ring, but when I picked it up I just heard a lot of buzzing sounds, and the call wasn't actually picked up as it went straight to voice mail on my mobile.
I tried 2 different landline phones and they both did the same thing.
I'm at work at the moment, but will provide pictures of the router and setup as soon as I get home.
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Wiggz89 No, no that's fine, cheers for being specific, I have no doubt the issues is phone related so I'll get an engineer booked out. When are you free? They do Monday to Friday 8-1 or 1-6?

Plusnet Help Team
Wiggz89
Hooked

I can do Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday in the 1-6 slots if that suits?
EDIT: Or this afternoon 1-6 if it's not too short notice!
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Wiggz89 - They don't do same day visits I'm afraid but I've got the other booked for you, and confirmed the date here @ https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=236922061 and you can see the fault progress when it update too thanks.

Plusnet Help Team
Wiggz89
Hooked

Perfect, thanks for your help James!
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Brill, let us know if you need anything else.

Plusnet Help Team