Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced DL speed following problem

soverson
Dabbler

Reduced DL speed following problem

Hi,
I reported a problem on 19th April whereby my DL speeds had reduced to dial-up speed, and after a couple of router resets, the connection dropped completely. A router reset on the following day restored DL speeds but not to the level that they were previously. I was used to getting 2.3 - 2.7 Mbps previously (not great I know), but since the fault on the 19th April I cannot get more than 1.8 Mbps DL.
The SNRM seems to be over 10Gb and I wondered if the outage had caused this to be raised by BT, and if so, whether it can be reduced please so that my DL speed recovers to the previous levels? The line has been stable since around 18th April, but at the reduced DL speed.
Thanks,
30 REPLIES 30
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Reduced DL speed following problem

Hi soverson,
I've checked over your connection and can see that your downstream SNR is 10dB, I've placed a SNR reset to bring this down to six as you have a nice stable line. This usually takes around 4 hours to complete which you should then see an increase with your speeds.
Let me know how you get on.
Chris
soverson
Dabbler

Thanks Chris.
I have checked last night and this morning, and router status page shows DL SNRM still at 10.2 dB, and speed tests show DL speed still pegged at 1.8mbps.
Can you confirm that the request to drop the SNRM has gone through please? If so, do I need to disconnect and reconnect the router in order for it to become effective, or does it take a few days for the new setting to bed-in on the line?
Thanks for your help.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It seems the SNR reset was succesful alothough you haven't seen the difference, I can see you opened a fault ticket that was closed as soon as it was opened.
I'd suggest opening another fault ticket so we can investigate this further if needed.
soverson
Dabbler

OK, thanks for looking into it, I will see what happens over the next couple of days and potentially raise a fault as you suggest.
soverson
Dabbler

Chris,
I ran a BT Speedtest this evening and here are the stats:

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
1.91 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.91 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.82 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps

I have seen that the IP profile is capped at 2 Mbps, and wondered if this can be raised in any way, as I was previously getting 2.3 - 2.7 Mbps download so can only assume that it was higher until the recent problem last month. The SNR did briefly drop back to 6 dB tonight, but is back up at 10 again for some reason?
Thanks for your help and advice
Regards 
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

What downstream attenuation does your router report?
soverson
Dabbler

Hi,
The download attenuation shows as 62dB. Does this indicate that 2mb is the best that I can achieve?
Cheers
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

62dB is a long line, so 2Mb/s would be the most you're likely to see.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Unless, of course, you are lucky (currently 3.6Mbps on a 61.8dB line Cheesy Cheesy )
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
soverson
Dabbler

I did a controlled reset 2 days ago at around mid-day to minimise noise, and it initially synced at 4.4mb, but the line
dropped later with a forced re-sync. I am now syncing at 2912mb and seems stable at this
Level. Can my IP profile be raised from 2 to 2.5mb?
If not, is it likely to go up at the exchange if the line continues to be stable
at 2912 sync speed?
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Plusnet (or any ISP) cannot change a BT IP Profile. As you seem to be on a 20CN connection that can take several days, probably 4. Do NOT reboot/resync your modem/router that sync speed is just high enough to get a 2.5Mbps profile. Check with the BT speedtester in 3 or 4 days and when it has gone up, check your Current Line speed (Login required) which should match the BT IP Profile. If not post back and a DCT member will sort it for you.
As you mentioned the large SNRM change in reply #5, can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It looks like your IP profile has been raised to 2.5Mb/s so I've also bumped your speed profile to match this.
I hope this helps.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Lucky then  Smiley  Ah, I wasn't counting the days - 2 days ago yesterday makes it 4 today  Wink
soverson
Dabbler

Thanks for all of your help, I know it's not a huge increase, but it makes a big difference when there is so little to play with!
Regarding the noise, I did a quiet test and all seemed to be OK.
Now the bad news - I was planning to fit a recently purchased ADSL faceplate next weekend, so it could be back to square one again!