Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red internet light

FIXED
Eleanor

Red internet light

Hi all

My parents have had little no internet for the past two weeks. Thinking it would be a quick fix I have had a look, to no avail.

When I first arrived the internet worked for around 60 seconds and then hasn’t been back for the last 4hrs. I have replaced the filter, tried the test socket and reset the router numerous times, only to see the slow flashing red light each time.

I came on to chat to someone online, however chat was down. I’m hoping someone can assist as my parents are now rather bored of having no internet.

I welcome any questions.

(Eddie, on behalf of parents).
8 REPLIES 8
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Red internet light

Hi @Eleanor (Eddie), I'm sorry to hear your parents are having connection issues. Checking the connection from this side and as seen by the graph below there's certainly been a mass amount of drops however the connection looks to be a lot more stable as of yesterday evening:

It may be that the issue is resolved moving forwards and I'd advise monitoring the connection moving forwards however when testing there does look to be something out of place somewhere:

SL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 26.3 44.5
SNR Margin: 24.5 15.3
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 2030642 9462514
Speed: 444 3641

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2848 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 2278
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 107 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 1976
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 8

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3.5 -- 2.5 to 4.5

If the drops/loss of connection do persist moving forwards the first thing I'd advise given the test results would be to give your phone provider a call and get them to test the line, it may be that their testing brings up the location of the issue. If not then I'd advise the below troubleshoot steps to start ruling a few things out you may not have already:

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how it goes moving forwards.

Eleanor

Hi, thanks for the reply.

When I initially went online it was working fine, around 2pm on Sunday. I tested the WiFi with a few Speedtests on my phone and everything was fine. However once I switched their PC on problems started around 60 seconds later, I had clicked onto a news website which loaded, but after that nothing worked. This is when I realised there was no internet.

In the mean time I will contact my parents and ask if there is any difference today. Failing this I will try online chat later, I couldn’t access it all day yesterday, everyone was busy.

I checked the router and the @ symbol was slowly flashing red. I reset it twice, changed the filter and even tried the suggested test socket, all to no avail. They did say it wasn’t a constant issue, it would work in short bursts.
Eleanor

Bangs head slowwwwly. Please help, Plustnet aren't

Hi everyone. I posted on Sunday about my parents broadband issues. Red flashing light on the router causing drop outs constantly. This has been continuous for over 2 weeks.

I had a reply to my topic, they agreed that my parents internet kept dropping out, but the conversation was left at this. I have had tried numerous times to chat online, only to be told everyone is busy. 

I replaced the filter, tested the cable in the test socket, reset the router 3 times, checked the login details were correct on the router. The have a hardwired PC, and a tablet/Amazon stick that uses wifi. The router is easily 5 years old.

Please, someone, my parents are in their late 70's and rely on using the internet.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Bangs head slowwwwly. Please help, Plustnet aren't

Why start another thread?

Did you get the phone line checked? Broadband won't work without a good phone line. I assume they don't have the phone with PN, therefore they will be unable to perform tests.

Have you dialled 17070 do they get the correct phone number - then option 2, is the line quiet.

There is a great deal of info from PN on the other thread, the steps need to be followed carefu;;y.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's Note(s)

Threads merged to keep support in one place.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi Eddie.

Sorry to hear they're still having issues.

Connection logs do show things are dropping off again:

image15469744143857

Line tests aren't showing the cause for the problem still. Are you able to try a different router? Failing that, I'd recommend raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Eleanor

Fault raised, thanks.

Such a slow website, when i initially clicked on the troubleshooter it gave me a dead page.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for raising the fault.

I've added a reply on to the support ticket now: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=186240871

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet