cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red internet light?

chimicherry
Dabbler

Red internet light?

Not sure if this is actually a problem, but is something I'm curious about. I have just noticed that on my router the internet light is red and all the other lights are green. Yet my connection seems to be running fine. It was my understanding that if the internet light is red then I shouldn't be able to connect to the internet. Does this light indicate something different that is currently down on Plusnet's end or is it just my router being silly?
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Red internet light?

This is a 'feature' that is reported from time to time. A red internet light is meant to indicate PPP session authentication to Plusnet has failed though that can't be the case if the connection is working.
Restarting the router generally clears the false indication (green when it reconnects), though there's no need to try that unless you want to. Best not to do that at night in any case.
David
chimicherry
Dabbler

Hmm... I restarted my router and the problem did indeed resolve itself. Strange bug. Is there any particular cause?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Glad to hear restarting the router cleared the problem. Smiley
Sorry, I'm not aware if the cause was ever identified.
David
chimicherry
Dabbler

Noticed a few hours ago that the internet light has gone red again. I'm guessing that as my connection seems to be working still it wouldn't be worth raising a ticket with Plusnet about it, but I think I'll keep my eye on it... I'm sure there must be something that's causing it to do this. Hasn't happened in the month I've had it and now it does it twice in a couple of days.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

My TG582n does the same regularly. I just leave it red most of the time until I decide to do a "soft" disconnect and connect.
Although it doesn't seem to cause a connection problem, it's a pain in the backside!