cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recurring speed problems

boingy

Recurring speed problems

I've been seeing a hugely variable connection quality recently (a few months). Speed is usually about 3 Mbps but I get periods where it drops well below 1Mbps and stays there for hours. I also get a few disconnects. Right now I have 0.5 Mbps and the broadband troubleshooter checker is off-line so I can't submit a ticket. In the past when I have submitted a ticket it seems that Plusnet do nothing for a couple of days then tell me it is OK, which leaves me no closer to bottoming out the problem.
Is there anything I can do to narrow it down?
Is there anything I can do to get it back to normal more quickly. Rebooting the modem often seems to reconnect back at the normal speed but then it drops again soon afterwards, which I guess is the system "training" to the optimum speed. I'm never sure whether rebooting helps or hinders this process.
3 REPLIES 3
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Recurring speed problems

Your connection does appear to be intermittent at times.

In addition your sync speed drops to around 800kb every week or so which may be the sign of a fault.
Where do you have the router connected to at the moment?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
boingy

It's connected to the master socket via a 3 metre cable and a filter. In previous occurrences I have connected directly to the test socket without any improvement. Very occasionally we do get a little audible hiss/crackle on the phone but there is none there now.
In a previous incident someone somewhere did find and rectify a phone line fault (it will be in the ticket history I think).
I'm reasonably technical but I don't really understand how the speed adjustment thing works. Would a brief fault be enough for it to drop the speed for a day or two? I know it is (necessarily) slow to ramp the speeds back up afterwards.
cedlor
Grafter

Depending on the socket you may not need the filter
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40231/~/check-your-wiring-and-set-up
Do you have any extensions in use or not?
Is the ethernet cable good quality cat5?  It may have writing on it saying what it is.