cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconfigure fibre router for ADSL

quackers
Dabbler

Reconfigure fibre router for ADSL

I have a Technicolor TG582n which has been set up as a fibre router, how can I reconfigure it for ADSL ?
23 REPLIES 23
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Reconfigure fibre router for ADSL

Does it not detect automatically?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
quackers
Dabbler

Apparently not, I attached the DSL cable but neither broadband nor internet light comes on. DSL cable works fine with another router so there is a definitely a signal present.
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I believe there is a firmware upgrade from an ADSL 582n to become an FTTC 582n, but not the other way round!
Happy to have a look on your account and see if I can arrange for an ADSL one to be sent out for you.
Regards,
Matt
quackers
Dabbler

Thank you Matt, what would be the charge for that ?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I thought the latest testing firmware had a facility to switch to ADSL http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114824.msg988842.html#msg988842

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I stand corrected!
Thanks MisterW, been looking for that thread for a while.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that you use the setup wizard ( on 10.2.5.2 ) to select ADSL mode but I can't find the information now...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

quackers
Dabbler

Thank you . How can I install this latest firmware ?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It's all in the link http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/ referred to in the thread I linked to.

quackers
Dabbler

The link you sent shows five different options for the 582n, I suppose I want one of the two at the bottom of the list since they refer to fibre routers. How can I tell which one to choose ? I clicked on one and it was talking about Thomson 585 ? Sorry , some people are more tech savvy than others , I expect its obvious what's going on only not to me I'm afraid
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

this link http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/tg582n/plusnet/8.4.4.J/PN%20TG582n%20R844J%20+USB%20BW.bin
It is for the router with USB port to reconfigure to ADSL
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I suppose I want one of the two at the bottom of the list since they refer to fibre routers.
You want the last one in the list, the one that says version 10.2.5.2.
I clicked on one and it was talking about Thomson 585 ? Sorry , some people are more tech savvy than others , I expect its obvious what's going on only not to me I'm afraid
No problem. Yes, the first 2 links regarding the upgrade tool and the instructions do refer to the TG585. The upgrade tool and procedure are common to the older TG585 and the TG582n. Hope that helps make thinks a little clearer.

quackers
Dabbler

Yes thank you it does.
But looking at the instructions it says do not attempt upgrade via wireless connection. Is that a complete no-no or just less likely to succeed ? The ethernet port is not functioning on my laptop. How about USB connection , would that do ? As I'm a Windows 7 user I have downloaded the version the link advises for that OS.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

But looking at the instructions it says do not attempt upgrade via wireless connection.
The problem with wireless is that 1) it can be unreliable and 2) when the router reboots after the f/w upgrade, it will be back to factory defaults. If you've changed the SSID/password then you wont be able to connect again with the old details. Hence it's really not recommended but since the router is not useful to you as it is, what can you lose ?
How about USB connection , would that do ?
There is no facility to connect a PC/laptop via USB. The USB connection on the TG582n is for storage(USB disk/memory stick) or 3g dongle only