cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended wired router

h_milsom
Grafter

Recommended wired router

My old ADSL modem/router is playing up and I need to buy a new one.
My system uses a Apple Time Capsule so the wireless capability in the modem/router is not used.
Therefore - can anyone recommend a good wired router. Or should I go for a wireless one and simply turn off the wireless?
I look forward to your thoughts ... and thank you!
Hugh
5 REPLIES 5
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Recommended wired router

Hi
I think you would struggle to find a router that does not have wireless functionality.
Do you have a budget in mind? The other thing to consider is getting a ADSL/fibre router - which would be wise if you think you will get fibre in the future.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The Time Capsule is a capable wireless cable router. One other option is you could just buy a TPlink ADSL modem, or use a Plusnet TG582n configured in 'bridge mode' to front your Apple 'router'.
The only disadvantage of using the above two box solution, is you won't have convenient access to ADSL line stats from the modems if you need to investigate any line problems.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
AndyH
Grafter

Setting up the TG582N in bridge mode is not for the faint hearted - there's a thread on here somewhere on how to do it.
You can get ADSL modem/routers for anything from £20-150. It just depends on the OP's budget and what he wants out of it.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi h_milsom,
If you're looking for a Wired Router, in my opinion, you had may as well get a Wireless Router and turn off/disable the Wireless functionality - at least, if in the future circumstances do change, you've still got the option to switch it back on without having to buy another router.
I don't see why one of our TG582N wouldn't do the trick. I use mine pretty much just for a Wired connection and it works seamlessly. Turning Wireless Off is really easy too. I see little benefit paying a lot of money for another router if, what you're looking for is a Wired Connection.
h_milsom
Grafter

Thanks guys. Much upon which to dwell!
Hugh