cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended router

waldron
Grafter

Recommended router

I have been using a D-Link DSP-G604T router for the past three years. Recently I have been experiencing connection problems. On two occasions there has been no wireless signal at all, although all the stats etc seem to be indicate all is running successfully. When the problem exists , three different pcs all report the same problem, so I believe that the router is the culprit.
Can anyone recommend a reliable wireless router? Preferably at least 100 Mbps.
11 REPLIES 11
Assos
Grafter

Re: Recommended router

Anything in the Netgear DG834 series, but NOT the DG834PN (It's not very reliable) or the plain DG834 (it doesn't have wifi)  should be a good bet for a nice reliable wireless modem/router...
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

DG834N is newer seems popular and has good wireless speeds/options.
DG834GT (like mine) is older but dependable and goes to 108mbps with the right adapters.
Emma
Grafter

Must admit we have the PN version of the Netgear and never had any problems, it has all the firmware updates and such like. We also use a Voyager 2100 as a repeater just so we can get wireless in the garden and garage.
The voyager has a much better wireless range than the Netgear. We just ran some Cat5 cable through the ceiling from the back of the netgear and then through the loft and down in to the back bedroom creating a fab wireless house!
hth
Emma
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

We've got the PN version too. Old one is the GT but the PN seems to have better coverage in our house, esp as the main BT socket is the other end to where we use our computers. (I hasten to add that we got the PN as it was a 'customer return' being sold for such a silly price that we would have been daft not to buy it.)
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
MickKi
Grafter

If you're on a short distance from the BT exchange (strong SNR) Netgear is a good choice as it seems to be more reliable than Linksys products.  Some of the Linksys on the other hand have a wide variety of open source firmware which are infinitely configurable to play with - if you are technically minded.
On a longer line (weak SNR) the routers that seem to get a better signal are:
Speedtouch 585 v6
2WIRE 2700HGV (this can be tweaked to have a stronger WiFi signal if you want to fry your brains)
Billion BiPAC 5200G
Vigor from Draytek
Lucy
Grafter

This is not for the OP (not a 100 Mbps router), but in general I can fully endorse the Bipac 5200G for a long line.
With the DG834G, I used to have a daily evening disconnection. I thought it was unavoidable. But after 3 weeks continuous use, the Bipac is showing:
PPP connection time : 18d:05h:55m:55s

And these are not bad for a 4.6km long line:
SNR Margin: 13.5  20.0 db
Line Attenuation: 51.0  30.0 db
Data Rate: 5728  448 kbps

The speed hasn't dropped at all. The SNR goes down very gradually in the evening, the lowest I've seen is 9.5db. It is the most stable router I've ever used. And amazingly, after all this time, it is still barely warm to the touch.
The only disconnection happened when I tried telnetting. It allowed telnet, but then punished me with a disconnection.
It doesn't like RouterStats (Lite) either, although it's easy to get to the stats page, the link to RouterStats is cut off after a while, and may or may not resume. That is a bit annoying, but if one needs the logs, it's easy to resume the connection by closing and reopening RouterStats when a loss of link occurs.
Another niggle is that this router doesn't provide much of a log:
7/20/2008 5:29:28> sending request to NTP server(17bb0a)
7/20/2008 5:29:28> received from NTP server(17bb0a)
7/20/2008 5:25:51> Adjust time to 4882cc5f
7/20/2008 5:25:51> adjtime task pause 1 day

...that is its System log  Shocked
The 5200G is obviously not for those who wants to tinker, but it seems ideal for people who're happy to connect and forget.
I suspect other (= more expensive) Bipac routers may allow more tinkering, eventually I'll email Bipac's UK support and ask.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Possum
This is not for the OP (not a 100 Mbps router), but in general I can fully endorse the Bipac 5200G for a long line.

I suspect the OP refers to LAN speed, not WAN.  All of the above are ADSL2+ compatible.
Quote from: Possum
And these are not bad for a 4.6km long line:
SNR Margin: 13.5  20.0 db
Line Attenuation: 51.0  30.0 db
Data Rate: 5728  448 kbps

The speed hasn't dropped at all. The SNR goes down very gradually in the evening, the lowest I've seen is 9.5db. It is the most stable router I've ever used. And amazingly, after all this time, it is still barely warm to the touch.

Am I reading this correctly?!!  5.6Mbps sync speed with an attenuation of 51.0 dB?  Shocked
That is impressive.  I doubt that the Netgear would give you anything like that.
puddy
Grafter

I am using a speedtouch 716wl v5 it (adsl 2+) 4 port wireless and it as 2 voip ports and have had no problems with it
on the bottom of the router are its ssid name and a wpa secuirty code which relate to that router and no other so no delfault codes that can allow others to piggy back your connection
The voip ports are very useful because plusnet offer free voip minutes per month depending which contract on are on.  Just plug a normal phone (adapter may be needed) in to a voip port
If you have any setup issues plusnet support this router because they use to sell them
But the best bit is it only cost me £1.36 plus p&p (£7) off ebay with 90 days warranty

puddy
ps my partner as had her's for over 2-3 years and had no problems at all
my current connecton details
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 324.88 / 6.97
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 9.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.0 / 3.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 14.0
Lucy
Grafter

Quote from: MickKi
I suspect the OP refers to LAN speed, not WAN.  All of the above are ADSL2+ compatible.

Thanks for the correction! I indeed thought he meant WAN  Embarrassed
That is impressive.  I doubt that the Netgear would give you anything like that.

I think the Bipac is reading stats differently, both Att and SNR are slightly higher. The Netgear indicated Att. 46-49 db
Actually, although the line is quite long, it is very good quality (when not attacked by wildlife). The Openreach engineer who came to repair it last year (after some wildlife chewing through cables) was surprised. I don't know whether it's because it has new cables or new equipment at the exchange, or very few connections. This place is as rural as it gets !
When the Netgear was new, I used to have 6.5 Mbps ... but BT raised the target SNR (from 6 to 12db) after a series of disconnections during storms, and the rate dropped like a stone. The problem with the Netgear was that it could not hold on to the connection long enough to get the IP profile up again.
waldron
Grafter

Many thanks for the suggestions and comments.
I think I shall go for the netgear DG834N. Hopefully that will solve my problem.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

In view of looming ADSL2 (up to) 24Mbps service, are any of the above routers liable to be useless on short lines in the near future?
Do they all work with 21CN exchanges (at any speed)?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."