Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Chipset Router

ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Recommended Chipset Router

Hi there,
I had to buy a new router as my old one broke, so I got the TP-LINK TD-W8970 however; my speed has dramatically dropped with this modem/router.
It has gone down to 1.46Mb as opposed to 2.1Mb with my much older TD-W8950ND.
After digging around, the chipset on ADSL Modems is quite important and is best to get one that the Exchange is running.
So my question is, does anyone know how I can find out what Chipset my Exchange uses: Exchange code: STSALIS
PS My old router used a Broadcom and my new on uses Lantiq (never heard of this)
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Re: Recommended Chipset Router

Lantiq is what used to be Infineon
If you are finding that your line performed better using a BCM chipset rather than Lantiq, then you are best looking for a BCM based router.
We maintain a list of DSL modem routers with Broadcom chipsets  BCM 6368 chipsets are relatively stable.. whilst BCM 63168 is the latest model with a supposedly much improved adsl_phy.
We have found that in general the above 2 BCM chipsets appear to perform best on most lines regardless of the DSLAM.  For eg  Im on an ECI cab (Lantiq).  BCM6368 performs a couple of Mbps better than a Lantiq VRX-268, whilst the BCM63169 ekes out another 3.5 Mbps, meaning that it gives me an easy 6Mbps more than the Lantiqs I tried.
I must stress that not all lines are the same, and they all behave differently.. sometimes you have to suck it and see..  but on the whole atm the BCMs seem to be winning hands down for the vast majority of lines.
>>  how I can find out what Chipset my Exchange
Depends entirely upon the router you use and if it gives you the Vendor ID
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Re: Recommended Chipset Router

Hi mate,
Thanks for your very informative reply.
jim:quote