Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a router

willas00
Grafter

Recommend a router

Hi,
Hopefully someone will be able to help me out here.
I own a WAG120N LinkSys router. It's always been great to me with my PC (Windows Vista), MacBook, and iPhone 3G.
I purchased an iPad 1 (before the iPad 2) and noticed the internet connection would just randomly die on the device while connected to the router.
I upgraded to an iPhone 4 just a few weeks ago and noticed the same issues on the iPhone 4.
I have the same problem some times but less often on my MacBook. All the devices are Wireless appart from the PC which never has issues.
I've now obtained Apple TV 2 and keep having issues with Home Sharing disconnecting on the TV. It's getting annoying trying to watch a film then all of a sudden it's lost connection.
I'm wondering if it's the setup of the router. However I'm not that technical minded when it comes to routers.
I've had a google around and not really came up with much that's helpful.
I'm wondering now however if it might be worth investing in a better router ideal for the stuff I'm using it for. Is the router Plusnet do any good? I never requested a router from Plusnet as I've always had my own.
But I seriously need something reliable.
When I've spoken to Plusnet before they have noticed the router sometimes randomly disconnects from the network and keeps connecting successfully a few times in a row so I've no idea what's going on there either.
Any help would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Recommend a router

Pretty sure the standard PN supplied router has had reports of connection issues with some Apple devices so probably not the best bet.
I have no Apple devices nor much knowledge about them but I'm pretty sure that Apple sell some kind of router or wifi access point, I'd think that sticking with the brand should minimise chances of unforseen problems.
OMG, have I just suggested someone buy an Apple product?  Not bad for an anti-brandname/designer label stick-in-the-mud.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: walker23
Pretty sure the standard PN supplied router has had reports of connection issues with some Apple devices so probably not the best bet.

The original firmware did have issues with some apple devices but the routers we ship now have the newer firmware version, so that's not the case now.
@willas00, If you have a card registered on your account I can take £4.99 for P&P and send you a router. You'd only have to pay for the router (£40) if you were to leave us within 12 months. If you were to have any issues with the router we would address this as part of the warranty.
Jojo Smiley
willas00
Grafter

@JoJo I've no plans to leave Plusnet at all... I know my contract ends soon as I've been with you nearly 12 months o.O but I have an offer on my account with my Broadband till Decemeber....or November not sure when the special discount ends.
So I'm guessing this wouldnt effect it?
I think having a router from Plusnet might be worth trying (For only £4.99 P&P it's worth a try!) I think it might be iTunes on my Mac as I'm using 10.5 but I can't be sure as if I use AirPlay from my Mac (Not using iTunes) it disconnects to therefore I think it may well be the router.
willas00
Grafter

After 2 phone calls this morning to Plusnet I've decided my router is slowly giving up the ghost. It's not connecting properly to the internet at times so I've now ordered a Plusnet router which should be with me very soon hopefully.
Hopefully this will allow me to watch Apple TV better! Cheesy
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just double checked, it should be with you in a couple of days time.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
willas00
Grafter

Router arrived today. Very impressed! Speed arrival.
So far so good. Speed seems faster than before too, Did a speed test and it is faster so that's a plus point.
So far so good with my Apple Products. The Mac is staying connected and so is my iPhone.
Just watching a movie now via Apple TV and will feedback again soon.
Also I've read a few posts about getting Upload speed uncapped on ADSL 2. How do I go about requesting this? Tongue
Thanks Plusnet! Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: willas00
Also I've read a few posts about getting Upload speed uncapped on ADSL 2. How do I go about requesting this? Tongue

Just raise a ticket at https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=new_question mentioning you are on ADSL2 and requesting this.
David
willas00
Grafter

Cant open a new ticket as I have 3 open.
Any chance someone from Plusnet could close them? 2 are about a paid bill which are no longer needed and 1 was to confirm postage of my router.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI willas00,
I've closed the billing one. The router one will have to stay open until the deferred contract is added.
Jojo Smiley