cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend WiFi Adaptor/Dongle for Technicolor TG582n on XP, please?

mplusnetuser
Grafter

Recommend WiFi Adaptor/Dongle for Technicolor TG582n on XP, please?

Can anyone please recommend the best and/or cheapest good/reliable WiFi Adaptor/Dongle to connect my new Technicolor TG582n to my desktop running XP SP3, please?
My PC's Ethernet port appears to have died (the subject of another post to follow), so I need to connect wirelessly for the time being. Router and PC are adjacent, and my line speed has been just under 10MB (and on my exchange seems likely to be so for the foreseeable future, in case that makes a difference).
I know diddley squat about WiFi, so I don't know what to look out for in a dongle. Dirt cheap would be great, if not at the expense of speed or reliability.
Any advice gratefully received Smiley .
13 REPLIES 13
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Recommend WiFi Adaptor/Dongle for Technicolor TG582n on XP, please?

Just about any wifi dongle should give you a connection. Are you looking to buy locally or via the internet?
Might be just as well though to fit a PCI Network card, as you can pick those up for less than £10.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Thanks for the help.
I was hoping to buy via somewhere who will post First Class (to avoid playing tag with a courier).
I don't have a free PCI slot at the moment, though I suppose I could sacrifice something else to make room, if absolutely necessary.
Are decent dongle's more expensive than that? Would I notice any drawback's with using one, compared to a wired connection?
vultura
Rising Star

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Wi-fi will pretty much always be slower than wired, the TG582n doesn't get the best reputation for wi-fi performance either, I'd agree 100% with vultura, get an internal ethernet card if possible (if you don't want to wait for delivery you can even pick these up at places like PC World (sorry!) or look up a local computer repairer).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
vultura
Rising Star

Just for comparison - PCI Network card on ebay:
£3 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-ETHERNET-NETWORK-RJ45-LAN-PCI-ADAPTER-CARD-TP-LINK-TF-3239DL-/3210180...
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Use a USB-LAN adapter; cheap as chips.  Cool
About £2 posted from China/HongKong slightly more (£2.99) from UK sellers promising next day delivery.
No-brainer in your situation.  Wink
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Wow, thanks Vultura, that's fantastically helpful. I'm looking through those now.
I fear the thought of slower wireless speeds would haunt me, even if it weren't too different. Hmm.
Would a USB-LAN adapter also be slower? Both seem like compromises of the optimum 'direct' route, but maybe I'm imagining that.
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: mplusnetuser
Wow, thanks Vultura, that's fantastically helpful. I'm looking through those now.
Would a USB-LAN adapter also be slower? Both seem like compromises of the optimum 'direct' route, but maybe I'm imagining that.

Glad to help.
My preference would be an internal card, but if no other option then a USB-LAN adaptor would work ok.
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Sorry about the twin threads: it seemed a good idea at the time ;).
I don't play online games, so latency isn't a concern for me.
But if throughput is likely to be slower, I think I'll skip the wireless dongle notion, for now.
So, the hassle of accessing an awkwardly buried PC and losing a TV card to install the best option: a network card vs. plugging in a USB-LAN adapter?
Slower speeds, or other drawbacks, with the USB-LAN adapter? Sad
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

No drawbacks at all I'd say; used to use them a lot when encountering older PC's that had modems but no onboard LAN and owner was upgrading to a router.
They do need a driver, like all USB devices, but should have a disk with them.
Rich
Grafter

I have a gigabit USB-LAN adapter and see faster speeds than the on-board 100megabit adapter.  The adapter came from Maplin - cost a bit more than those mentioned above though Wink
Richard
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

USB 1 12 Mbit/s
USB2  480 Mbit/s
USB 3 5 Gbit/s
All theoretical design maximums.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mplusnetuser
Grafter

I've stopped dithering, and went for the cheap and easy option:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160763937439?&item256e47029f
"USB To LAN Rj45 Ethernet 10/100 Network Card Adapter(Network Card) Price: £3.19 Postage:Free,  First Class"
If it matches or beats my previous speeds, I'll stick for now. If not, I'll get a network card and find the gumption to dig up the PC from it's pit of junk and wires, and sacrifice the TV card, all without the time pressures of getting fully reconnected again.
Thanks again, everyone, you've been a great help.