cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent speed drop

chazric
Dabbler

Recent speed drop

Hello, I currently am on the 8mb/s Plusnet Extra broadband package (not fibre optic). We have various devices, such as Xboxes, laptops, iPads etc that use the broadband and usually on speed tests we can usually get around 5-6mb/s consistently across all devices. However over these past few days, first noticed on both Xboxes (both of which are using ethernet cables), experiencing disconnections from xbox live and poor quality connections to the host of online matches. That is when I went to test the speed of the connection, in which it was achieving only 0.7-1.2mb/s across all computers and iPads in the house via wifi and even ethernet. I simply thought it would require just a router reset (power off/on) which was unsuccessful in fixing the problem. I then decided to reset the router back to factory settings (pin hole reset) which again, didn't improve my connection speed. So I'm now wandering if the problem is on my end or on Plusnets end as I'm out of solutions for a fix.
So help would be appreciated. Smiley
P.S. My router model is a Thomson TG585 v8 if that helps.
Many thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Recent speed drop

Your speed has probably dropped because the equipment in the telephone exchange concluded your line was unstable.  Why should it do that?  Perhaps you had a power failure or some other event that triggered a rapid series of disconnections.  You really need to look at the stats reported by your router for clues about what has gone wrong.
chazric
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply. Smiley Speaking of power outages a fuse in our house did blow last week so everything went off apart from the lights, so i'm guessing from what you said that could possibly be the problem. How would I get access the stats reported by my router?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

To get detailed stats from the TG585v8 browse to http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0.
You will have to login to the router's web interface - user name admin and password CP.... (the router's serial number - see the base plate - all characters in capital letters).
David
chazric
Dabbler

Ok I've gone to the link you put in the reply and logged in successfully here is what it says:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 2:33:13
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,232 / 7,296
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,232
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 128.32
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 14.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 2.5 / 9.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 18,426
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 2
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 22
Hope this helps.
Thanks. Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Hmm; you're practically nest door to the telephone exchange.  Your sync rate is a little low but not very far off and there's nothing else that I can spot that is wrong with your stats so your problem must be one of the throttles applied to your line speed.  There is one applied by BT termed your 'IP Profile' which you can see by running the speed test here http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ .  And there is one applied by Plusnet which they call your 'Current Line Speed' which you can see here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed .  In an ideal world they would both be the same and approximately 85% of your sync rate. 
chazric
Dabbler

Again thanks for your quick response, yes I'm pretty much down the road from the exchange. I'll do the BT speed test then get back to you. Smiley
chazric
Dabbler

Ok, so I did the BT speed test from the link you gave me. Here are the results:
mushy
Grafter

Looks like your profile has been reduced to 1.25 probably caused by the power going off, It might come back once the line is stable or you may need PN to get it reset, i'm sure one of them will pick this up in the morning if not just drop them a line.
chazric
Dabbler

Ah, finally a solution!  Smiley What should my profile be at usually? I will give it till tomorrow then see if there are any improvements and as you said if not I will give PN a call to reset it. Thanks very much for your quick responses and help everyone. Grin
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Does your connection show any tendency to drop in normal circumstances (ie excluding the fuse blowing last week)?
David
chazric
Dabbler

Not really it is usually pretty consistent, even when we have computers and xboxes on throughout the house.
Hope this helps. Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend

That sounds promising. Plusnet have their Radius logs which will confirm this. Hopefully the Digital Care Team will drop in here on Monday and if the line seems stable might try a line reset. That should give you maximum sync speed (probably 8096kbps interleaved) with a 7000kbps IP Profile and Member Centre Current line speed.
David
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi chazric,
Your line profile has been reduced due to disconnections on your line, I've placed a SNR reset on your line to rectify this. It usually takes around 4 hours.
Let me know how you get on.
chazric
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi chazric,
Your line profile has been reduced due to disconnections on your line, I've placed a SNR reset on your line to rectify this. It usually takes around 4 hours.
Let me know how you get on.

Brilliant news... Its fixed the problem!
I am now back up to speed on my network.
A big thanks to all that helped out and to Chrispurvey who reset my line. Smiley