cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent drop in broadband speed

tc9604
Hooked

Recent drop in broadband speed

I've been with Plusnet for around 10 years and broadband has generally been reliable. However in the last week or so I've had significantly reduced downstream speed, particularly during the daytime, the the extent where it slows to a trickle or stops altogether. Does anyone know if Plusnet has changed its policy to manage broadband speed during the day?

7 REPLIES 7
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Recent drop in broadband speed

Hi @tc9604,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the speed. I've taken a look into your account and whilst we're not finding any specific fault, I can see that the connection has dropped out a few times over the last few days. Have you been rebooting the router at all lately? For example the last drop was this morning at around 9AM and yesterday afternoon there was a drop at about 3:45PM.

I would also ask if, the speed issues you're experiencing only appear to be occurring when connecting via Wi-Fi, or if they are happening on devices connected via Ethernet cable? I ask as, though the connection has dropped out a couple of times (whether genuinely or due to reboots) the speed going into the property is 42Mbps down, which is around the rate we'd expect.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
tc9604
Hooked

Hi, thanks for following up.

The drop out at 9am was me powering down the router to see if that made a difference. Apart from that I have not touched it so other disconnections are outside my control. Downstream connection was particularly bad this morning, and during the daytime last week - too slow to download email or stream Youtube.

As I type this I ran two speed tests via https://www.speedtest.net/. First time I got 35Mbps downstream, then I repeated it straight after and got 5Mbps. So it seems massively variable.

Thanks for your help so far.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting @tc9604.

We've run testing again and still aren't detecting a cause for the issue and so ideally would need to have a look at a little bit of troubleshooting to hopefully narrow things down a bit.

We'd recommend starting with basic checks here:

http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop and the speeds increase.. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here, or you've already had a go at the above, we will go down the route of raising a fault with our suppliers for their investigation.

tc9604
Hooked

Thanks, I followed all the steps and am still experiencing intermittent slow-downs and drop-outs - another one 5 minutes ago.

Would appreciate if you could please raise a fault. Thanks

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @tc6904,

Thank you for running through the troubleshooting checks, I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't resolved the problem. Please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it. We'll then be able to progress this further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
tc9604
Hooked

I have reported the issue. thanks

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @tc9604, thank you for raising the fault.

Checking from this side everything is looking spot on to the router and with no signs of errors. The speeds are syncing at 42.7Mbps download and 6.7Mbps upload. Please run the BT Speedtester service by clicking here using a wired connection. We would need at least three speedtests at different times. Once the initial result is completed please click 'Further Diagnostics' and type in your phone number and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the server for investigation. Once you've done the above, we can progress the fault to our suppliers.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team