Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent drop in IP profile

MickKi
Grafter

Recent drop in IP profile

Hi All,
Over the last week or two I noticed that I can no longer hold onto my line speed.  At night he SNRM drops below 1dB and ultimately there's a resync which lands me with a lower sync speed under those conditions.  This now happens after more than two months of holding onto 7616kbps with no dropouts and with a healthy target SNR of 6dB.
The drop in SNRM is gradual from about 21:00h onwards and a resync will invariably take place at any time between 22:30 to 02:30h.  I have tried resync'ing when the noise is low to get a lower but still above 7392kbps sync speed, so that I can regain an IP profile of 6500, but even with a lower sync speed of 7448 I wasn't able to hold onto it forever.  After a couple of nights it dropped it again.
Initially I suspected a degrading adsl filter, but I can't hear any noise on the line.  When a drop out occurs the modem reports loss of signal due to excessive errors.  Indeed, I have measured up to 28 errors per second (average over three days) before a resync occurs.  This is almost three times higher than what I used to get earlier in the summer.
Last night's resync landed me with a profile of 5500 which is 1Mbps lower in terms of throughput. Sad  Is there anything I could do to keep my summer performance, or should I accept that the nights are drawing in and this is the way of things to come.  Have you noticed lower sync speeds, higher error counts on your lines?
7 REPLIES 7
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Recent drop in IP profile

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Have you plugged it into the Master Socket? Grin Grin Grin
Makes a change for Micki to be in trouble
MickKi
Grafter

What do you mean?  I'm always in trouble - just don't come here to cry about it!  Tongue
I do not have a conventional master socket I'm afraid, but I have disconnected the bell wire and when I have (in the past ) removed all other extensions to test it, the difference in attenuation was nill.  My attenuation is 38dB (2.7m from the exchange).
Moose

Quote from: MickKi
  Have you noticed lower sync speeds, higher error counts on your lines?

That's exactly the problem I've noticed the last few nights.    Huge error counts and line dropping, and my speeds drop by at least half.  Everything seems fine again during the daytime.
MickKi
Grafter

During the day the error counts are low.  It's at night that things go pear-shape.  What is your downstream attenuation?
I suspect that your line is as marginal as mine and we are now leaving summer behind us and the nights are drawing in.  At the beginning of the summer I noticed that performance had improved (I had changed my router at the time and that threw me out) but it seems that the longer days may have had something to do with it.
MickKi
Grafter

Things have changed slightly so I thought of reporting back on this thread.  I have managed to hold onto my connection, probably by the skin of my teeth for more than 3 days and my 6500 IP profile has been reestablished.  Nothing that I know has happened over the last 3-4 days to explain this;  i.e. the weather is as bad as it was before, the neighbours have not started/stopped using any new/different electrical appliances, etc.
It seems that I have managed to keep my noise and line errors below the threshold that kicks in a resync.  The modem stats show a rate of 20.4 CRCs + FECs per second.  A coupe of weeks ago that figure was between 9 to 11.  I think that if it goes much above 23-25 the line drops.
puddy
Grafter

sinc fitting my BT i socket my errors are low even though my BT exchange is across the road my connection seems better/faster
I know on problem lines BT/ISP send them out free of charge its cheaper than asking BT to visit.  I got mine from ebay cost me £16.
Ask plusnet to send one out FOC
SpeedTouch 716wl v5
Link Information
Uptime: 16 days, 23:07:51
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 2.04 / 34.45
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 9.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.0 / 3.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 14.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 51 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 63
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 32

puddy
=jillweekes account

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 63
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 32

The performance of your line is impressive!  That's how many error corrections I get in less that a couple of seconds!  Shocked
I have long disconnected the bell wire.  All my telephone extensions are new and I doubt that I will see much of a difference if I were to connect to a NTE5 directly (I don't have a surface mounted master socket in my house).