cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really slow broadband

schnuffi

Really slow broadband

On Thursday I could not connect to the internet.  The router showed that a connection was made for a very short time and then lost it.  I changed routers and all the cables and no improvement.  Rang plusnet on Friday and they are investigating.  Since Saturday I've had a connection at a speed of approx 0.25Mbs download and 0.5Mbs upload.  I'm still waiting to hear from plusnet but had an email yesterday saying its been handed to the "correct team".  The BT test connector must be somewhere in the loft where the outside line enters the house and with no loft flooring up there I can't access it.  I live in a village some way from the exchange and am told to expect a speed of 2 Mbs, that's what I've been getting up until Thursday.
Very grateful if someone can assist.  It's so frustrating.
Router:
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 1:46:19
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 672 / 288
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 36,17 / 123,84
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,1 / 13,3
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 35,4 / 62,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,3 / 18,6
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 18 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 21 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 86 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 47 / 0

I can't copy the BT Wholesale Performance Test but this is what its just shown:
Download: 0.10 Mbs
Upload 0.53
Ping 38.63
9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Really slow broadband

schnuffi,
Welcome to the forums.  The Digital Care Team (DCT) - PlusNET staff - are not on the forums out side of normal office hours, so they might not respond until sometime on Tuesday.
Your SNRM figure is very high, thereby reducing the synch speed - the question is why?
You say that you cannot find the master socket, believing that it is in the loft.  Makes me wonder if there is one at all.  Do you have any idea how old your phone line is?  What kind of phone joint boxes can you locate / identify?
Is there any noise on the line - dial 17070 option 2 - if it is noisy get your phone supplier to fix this, but do not tell them you have a broadband issue or they will pass the buck.  If it PN supplied, then raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net
How many phone extensions gave you got?  Have they all got filters?  Have you tried a new filter for the router ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

schnuffi

Thanks for the reply.
Ive tried the noise test and its fine. The house was built in 1981. Ive tried different filters cables routers etc.
No idea about a test socket. Theres a junction box in the loft about 5 metres from where the line enters the bungalow, this feeds 2 lines into bedrooms. Ive attached the router to both lines with the same results.
I rang plusnet on Friday so they have it logged.
Thanks again, much appreciated
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Thanks for reporting the issue to us.
Our Faults Team aim to get back to you within 48-72 hours of the ticket being raised.
schnuffi

Thanks Chris.  I'd just point out that I reported this on Friday lunchtime.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This was reported to us and the Fault Checker completed on: 25/05/14 @ 09:49
We'll get back to you as soon as we can.
schnuffi

Thanks for your help.
schnuffi

Update; a couple of days ago I received a text from plusnet, "Test Result Fail. Fault located between DP and customer apparatus (no appointment required). Description fault - Dis in Network".  I was advised that the supplier forecast to fix on 29th May or before.  Yesterday around 4pm an Outreach engineer called, I wasn't expecting this.  He looked around and plugged a device into the BT wall socket.  He told me that it showed the line is fine to the exchange and showed me the greens on the device display (not that I knew what I was looking at).  I'm still getting  a very low internet connection 0.18mbs downloads.
The link in the member's section to the fault's correspondence (ticket?) is no longer showing (I've no idea where to find the detail of the fault's progress now, it's probably obvious but not to me).
If someone can show me where I keep up to date with the progress of this fault I'd be grateful.  There was a link on my members area but that vanished yesterday sometime.
Thanks
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can see that you've since commented on the ticket. Our Faults Team will be in touch as soon as they can.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: schnuffi
If someone can show me where I keep up to date with the progress of this fault I'd be grateful.  There was a link on my members area but that vanished yesterday sometime.

Your questions can be found here - http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=questions - you'll be prompted to log in and you might need to look at the recently closed questions.  The link to open questions only appears whilst there are open questions on your first view of the members page after logging on.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.