cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really slow ADSL

Jezzah

Really slow ADSL

Hello
Just returned home after being away for a few weeks and my broadband is terribly slow! Have run all of the relevant speedtests and the max download seems to be around 280kbps, upload of around 680kbps with a ping of 21.88ms ( This is from the BT wholesale performance test). Normally it downloads at around 4500kbps. Picked up the phone and had a listen and there is no unusual noise or interference, it actually sounds much cleaner than the other phone lines into this address! 
Some info from the router:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4715 kbps 792 kbps
Line Attenuation 57.0 db 33.9 db
Noise Margin 3.2 db 6.8 db
I've heard it's sometimes possible for you to reset the connection, is it at all possible to try that?
Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Really slow ADSL

Hi Jezzah,
I've had a look into your account and it seems your speed profile was set incorrectly. I've now changed the speed profile. If you can log into your router and disconnect and then connect again you should then start to see an increase in your speed.
Let me know how you get on.
Jezzah

Thats fixed it  Smiley Cheers for sorting that out, and so quickly!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Jezza,
Welcome to the forums.
EDIT: Whilst I was composing this seems like there has been some helpful intervention... but this might help you squeeze more out of your line.
Given the reported attenuation the SYNCH speed is way over what you might reasonably expect at a SNRM of 6dB.  Your SNRM is 3.2dB - that difference might improve the SYNCH speed (against 6dB) by 1200kbps - which would still be less than you've got.  That is a long way of saying a SNRM reset is not likely to help you, unless SLOWING down the SYNCH speed will SPEED-UP the DATA speed by generating fewer line errors.  I suspect that with a SNRM of 3dB your line is very good (stable) and therefore has a target of 3dB.  That is about as good as you could ever wish for.  I doubt that there is much in the way of error rates, but can you please post the full router stats here - including error counts etc.
For your line attenuation, the synch speed is stunning!  So the big question is "Is your attenuation right for your line?".  To answer that can you please check your line expectations here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php - please also include your post code as this will give an estimate of the distance to the exchange.  The attenuation suggests 4.1km.
If you get the same answer form Kitz, then there is nothing to be done to deliver SYNCH speed improvement (aside for moving home to a place closer to the exchange  :-\), though if there is a mis-match on your PN profile, you might achieve better DATA throughput speed by having that corrected.  Look here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed - you will need to login to the portal.  The "current line speed" should be around the 4.0 mark for your reported synch speed.
Your internal wiring could be responsible for adding to the line's attenuation.  Is the router connected to the master phone socket?  Do you have extension wiring from the master socket?  Can you try connecting the router to the test socket behind the front plate on the master socket?  Can you try a new / different filter please?
In any test you do, look not just at the synch speed and SNRM, but also at the line attenuation and error rates.  If you see anything interesting, please post full router stats on here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.