cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really poor speed

droom
Dabbler

Really poor speed

Feel aggrieved after moving from BE to Plusnet a few weeks ago. Assured that speed would be same if not better.
I've been completely mis sold.
Raised the matter as a fault but told by support that the line won't be upgraded until October 2011. They initially said within 5 days!
Can't understand why speed so good with BE?
Here's the data. Can anyone suggest a fix whilst I make up my mind what to do about the poor level of service I'm receiving. Thanks
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:11:26
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,132 / 10,624
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 1.87
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.5 / 23.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 15.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
21 REPLIES 21
tman247
Grafter

Re: Really poor speed

Well, I don't know what you were used to, but 8Mb seems pretty good to me. I spent more than 3 years at 3-4Mb, and wasn't really expecting any more. Just moved to FTTC though, so am being really spoilt with 30Mb+ speeds!
droom
Dabbler

If it looks good, and I don't know, why is use on the internet so poor. On occasions it's almost unusable and that definitely wasn't the case with my previous supplier.
Do I need to adjust settings? Tried to ring support but a 45 min wait!
Epyon
Grafter

Because of the IP profiling system you loose a good bit of speed but why did you move from BE in the firstplace?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: droom
Assured that speed would be same if not better.

I can think of no reason why.
And several why not:
1. DLM
2. IP Profiles
3. Lack of Be-style "tweaking" options
4. Traffic management (none on Be)
5. In your case, no ADSL2+ with PN
It looks like you could potentially have got around 18 to 19mbps with Be if your line & wiring were well-behaved and optimised.  Angry
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

We see very, very few people posting on here who have moved from Be to Plusnet. I wonder why...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi droom,
Thanks for your time on the phone today. As discussed, if you can run a BT speed test we will be able to analyse the results in a bit more detail.
Jojo Smiley
droom
Dabbler

Thanks
What's the service ID?
SpencerUk
Grafter

Hi Droom
The Service ID is optional and you shouldn't need it Smiley
droom
Dabbler

Done thanks
SpencerUk
Grafter

Hi Droom.
Had a quick check on your account and I've noticed that there is an active trouble ticket open from our suppliers (BT) relating to your local exchange. Although this was cleared a couple of hours ago, we can't discount it from relating to your slow throughput speed. I have enclosed a link for you to the active trouble ticket here.
If you could complete another speedtest for us tomorrow and if its the same low throughput, I would suggest raising a a fault to us so we can investigate further. From this point we can look then into a possible congested Virtual Path (VP) at your exchange which could be affecting your speeds, etc
In relation to comparing our throughput speeds to Be Broadband speeds, I believe they use Local Loop Unbundled (LLU) technology and as such, don't use BT's network to provide you a broadband speed, hence your speeds would be different to what you are currently getting. Once ADSL2+ Rolls out at your exchange which according to BT will be done by the latest of October, I would expect your speeds to be just as comparable if not possibly better although I can't guarantee this until your connection goes onto ADSL2+.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Spencer
Once ADSL2+ Rolls out at your exchange which according to BT will be done by the latest of October, I would expect your speeds to be just as comparable if not possibly better although I can't guarantee this until your connection goes onto ADSL2+.

Absolute rubbish!
Be don't use IP Profiles to artificially restrict speeds below the current sync speed. Be don't have a crazy DLM system that penalizes you for days after a few transient problems.
SpencerUk
Grafter

Didn't say Be used IP profiles or any DLM systems. All I am saying is that at the moment Droom is not on ADSL2+ so you can't really compare one ISP to another :).

jelv
Seasoned Hero

But what we do know is that speeds on Plusnet using ADSL 2+ will never be better than Be for the reasons I gave. The best Plusnet can hope for is to come close to the Be speeds.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php gives a pretty good guestimate of the expected speeds - the throughput it gives for BT is always lower than on LLU.
droon - that says you were probably seeing about 16500 on Be - is that about right? If so the best you can hope for from Plusnet will be around 16000.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

With BT's updated 21CN DLM I don't see why the speeds on BT shouldn't also be 16500.
David