cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really negative experience as brand new customer, before even hooked up!

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Really negative experience as brand new customer, before even hooked up!

Quote from: davidhgerrard
there were two options
Is there not a third option? Quite simply place on order on the line which you have a dial tone on, while still allowing the repair to proceed on the faulty one.
When one or other is working FOR YOU, cancel the other.
Really PlusNet should be pursuing this route to rescue this situation, swallowing the resulting costs which in reality they are already committed to:
I see no value, or significant saving, in cancelling the faulty line at this stage.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
there were two options
Is there not a third option? Quite simply place on order on the line which you have a dial tone on, while still allowing the repair to proceed on the faulty one.
When one or other is working FOR YOU, cancel the other.
Really PlusNet should be pursuing this route to rescue this situation, swallowing the resulting costs which in reality they are already committed to:
I see no value, or significant saving, in cancelling the faulty line at this stage.

Sorry, i wasn't clear:  the order has been placed on the line which has a dial tone.  The faulty line we don't need anyway, so we don't want time wasted having it turned on.
HPsauce
Pro

OK, I thought that BT had records of 2 lines to the property, "A" ending 735 and "B".
Line A you can detect on at least one socket but not line B.
Line A is locked out for some days as it is allocated to another ISP and an anti-slamming delay means PN can't order anything yet.
Line B has had an order placed for phone and subsequently broadband which is all "active" but not working.
BT say there is a fault on B and presumably need an engineer to attend which as you've explained is problematic.
I understood your latest post to say that you had decided, in conjunction with PN, to restart the order process on A and abandon B. Presumably any costs of all this mess would be born by BT/PN.
My suggestion is to let BT try to fix B while restarting the process on A and see which arrives first, use that and cancel the other. All at no cost to you of course.
Or is the engineer access issue just too difficult and likely to frustrate fixing B in a reasonable time?
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Further Update
Yesterday, received the following e-mail:
Dear Mr Gerrard,  Thank you for your patience. i tried calling but you were unavailable.  An appointment for an engineer to visit the premises has been arranged for Mon 22nd June between 1pm-6pm.  If the engineer finds the fault to be within the boundaries of your property, the engineer will demonstrate to you where the problem exists and we will add a one off fee of £50 to your bill. The same fee will apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel the appointment within 48 hours of the engineer visit time. This charge will appear within 90 days of the engineer visiting your property.  We are very stringent on accepting and passing on these charges and protecting both you and us from paying a charge.

Too funny.  First time this £50 charge has been raised first of all, and second of all, the whole BT engineer and disabled line discussion was closed last week!  I texted back to advise that the engineer needed to be cancelled and called up immediately (interestingly, literally no wait to call customer service on a sunday evening).  Told the rep that even though it says I need to call to cancel, it needs to be within 48 hours of the booking, and the notification I received was less than that.  The rep said no problem, this will be cancelled.
Had two phone calls this afternoon, from the BT engineer outside of my flat.  Sucks for him, as this should have been cancelled as per my phone call and text (which shows up under my plusnet account as having been received).
Just confirming again:  the order for the phone and broadband for the currently active line in the flat (used to end in the digits 735, but will change with the new activation) is still active and will go live for phone and broadband on the 3rd of July, and everything has been cancelled in regards to the other, inactive line.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

It can take forever to get BTOR moving - however, when they do get something in motion, stopping them can be impossible.  They are like an out of control oil tanker...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

davidhgerrard
Grafter

So, things should hopefully be up and running tomorrow.  Will give a status update at that time.
I will mention:  received the following e-mail today, which is surprising.  Again, really don't want to have to chase to have any charges from June reversed, so I hope that this will be managed on the Plusnet end.

Dear Mr Gerrard,
Account username: davidhgerrard
When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 17Mbps
Current line speed: 21Mbps
You can keep a track of your line speed through our website:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
To find out more about how broadband works, and the things that can affect the speed of your service, we've written an article all about high-speed broadband:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/high-speed.shtml
If you've got any questions about your service our Community Forums have loads of information and help available ( http://community.plus.net/forum/ ). You can contact us online using the Help Assistant ( http://support.plus.net/ ) or you can call us on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200.
Kind regards,
Plusnet Customer Support
http://www.plus.net/
Email ref: E0520
HPsauce
Pro

Thanks for keeping us updated, this was a really interesting (and unfortunate) situation. Fingers crossed for you.
I'd ignore the email, can you even tell which line/account it's for?
davidhgerrard
Grafter

UPDATE:
Things seem to be progressing smoothly.
The phone line has switched over successfully, and dialing 17070 now gives the new number ending in 5986.
Plugging in the router the broadband light is steady, and the wifi light is steady.  The only thing that doesn't light up is the internet light, and the internet is not accessible.
I have left for work now, but should be able to test again when I get home around 6pm tonight.
Hopefully, I can give the final update from within my own flat.
HPsauce
Pro

The only thing that doesn't light up is the internet light, and the internet is not accessible.
Probably just needs PlusNet to "activate" your account, which they do after BT have told them the job is complete which can take a few hours.
If a PN rep reads this they may jump in and do that ahead of time for you.  Wink
davidhgerrard
Grafter

SO, update:
Internet is up, running, and working great from the 3rd of July.
Still have a couple of questions:
    I joined on an introductory offer of £2.50 per month for six months.  I would like this to start from July, not June, as this is when service actually started.
    Similarly:  I pre-paid a year's worth of line rental up front.  I would like this to start from July, not June, as this is when the service actually started.
    As I somewhat expected, I did receive a billing notice for the month of June, an amount owing of £2.50.  I went on chat and spoke to a rep who said she would put through a credit amount to the account to balance things out.  However, with the way the plusnet billing page is laid out, it only shows bill by bill, and not a current total amount owing.  I need your confirmation that this £2.50 does not need to be paid, as it applies to a month when service was not provided.

Other than all this, the service works great.  I must thank rep Chris Salmon, for taking control of the situation and getting everything all sorted out for me. 
I will wait to hear back from you regarding the items above.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

From what I can see this has already been done?
You contacted us on the 12th through our live chat system and the agent you were chatting to arranged all of the above.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Ah, excellent.  Just wanted to double check, because looking at the "My Account" page it wasn't obvious.  So, from what you have said, i will be billed £2.50 per month for my July bill through to my December bill inclusive, the year's line rental will apply from July 2015 to July 2016 inclusive, and I can ignore the bill for £2.50 showing on my account for June as I did not have service.
If this is not correct, please do let me know.  Thank you very much.
johncov26
Dabbler

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I think both of you should reconsider trying to run a business on a domestic service  Roll_eyes

From what I read I think you should get off your high horse.. Who are you anyway? No one from what I can see.  Roll_eyes
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

...and you are?
Peter is offering sound advice here, as he usually does.  Where a service is critical to people's livelihood because they are using it to run their business, it is wise to use a business grade service.  Business lines receive higher priority support and repair from BTOR than residential services.  Add to that Plusnet's T&Cs on business use of residential products, Peter's advice becomes pearls of wisdom, which a wise person would follow.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@davidhgerrard
That payment will still go through (I think it already has) but we've refunded for the late install on the original invoice so correct the payments.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.