cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really negative experience as brand new customer, before even hooked up!

davidhgerrard
Grafter

Really negative experience as brand new customer, before even hooked up!

Hello all.
Hate to have to post this, but I don't know what to do.
Moved flat on the 1st of June.  Had a negative experience while trying to switch over our previous broadband provider to the new flat, and wanted to switch.  Heard great things about plus net product and service, so called on 3rd June and made the switch.  That was quick and easy, and I was told that as time is a serious factor for me and my clients, I would have broadband up and running in my flat no later than the 19th June.  Was told I would receive a welcome letter in the mail.
Hadn't received anything yet, so yesterday I called just to check everything was ok.  35 minute wait to talk to anyone, but busy period, so whatever.  Anyway, when I finally got through to someone:  was told there is a hold on my order.  Asked why, and was told that it was discovered that there were two phone numbers registered to my flat, and they wanted to know which of the two numbers I would like to use.  I said, the number I gave when I signed up.  I can only see one BT jack in the flat, and I already advised the number I would like to use for the service.
The rep said ok, and advised I will now have to wait an additional two weeks, from yesterday!  I was shocked.  I asked why I hadn't been notified of the block on my account, and was told "when the ticket was created the rep didn't tick the notify customer box".  I said I need this service to be up and running on the previously promised date, but have been told sorry, nothing can be done.
I need this to be rectified, and I need my service up by the 19th as promised.  I can't be telling my clients sorry, have to wait an extra two weeks due to plus net customer service, nothing they can do.  I can't work off of free coffee shop Wi-Fi, I need the service I signed up for!
I've posted on Twitter and subsequently raised a support ticket, but haven't heard back.  Please, this needs to be resolved ASAP.  I really hope you live up to your reputation on this one.
77 REPLIES 77
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Really negative experience as brand new customer, before even hooked up!

From your comments about clients I assume this is a Business service you have ordered.
Have you checked the T's & C's re provision and support of business broadband?
Also, have you verified that the socket you are assuming is the one that service will be delivered on is indeed the number you think it is?
If it's connected you can plug a phone in and if there is dial tone call 17070 to confirm the number.
If there's no dial tone you will probably be into BT providing/connecting a line, assuming there is capacity, which can take time.
If the line is assigned to someone else then there is an industry-standard anti-slamming process, which again takes time, to confirm it has really been relinquished.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Thank you for your response.
It's at my flat, it's data analysis consultation off of my personal wifi.
I know that the number is correct through 17070, and that there was BT broadband through the same socket for the same number for the previous tenant.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: davidhgerrard
there was BT broadband through the same socket for the same number for the previous tenant.
In which case you (and PlusNet) are probably at the mercy of however the previous tenant left that service and the processes within BT that will result.
It's an issue that's been raised/discussed before with no satisfactory response as yet, namely how previous occupants and new ones need to cooperate to arrange things so that a swift takeover of phone/broadband is achievable.
Of course this process can get quite complex if LLU or cable services are involved, but even a simple transfer using the same underlying BT infrastructure (as yours appears to be) often has unavoidable delays. Even if the ISP's involved do communicate promptly and accurately.  Lips_are_sealed
worstexperience

I am in a similar situation. Switched to PlusNet after reading good reviews about them. Guess what they have taken over my phone line but my broadband order was never processed. Now they have placed a new broadband order for me and its not going to go live before 17th June. That means almost 2 weeks without broadband. I have spoken to different customer service reps, everyone leaves a note to fast track my order but no one picks it up. So in effect its not fast tracked yet and I am still waiting for any helpful response from the so called awarded customer service.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@davidhgerrard
Unfortunately your issue is a complex one due to there being two lines in the property. One of these is stopped which we could activate within 24 working hours and the other is a live line which we have to wait 10 days to take over (As we can't take live lines over quicker for slamming purposes and due to Ofcom regulation). Have you been able to confirm which number is read out when you dial 17070 as I can't see this documented anywhere on your account.
@worstexperience
I can see we've expedited your order for tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

To paraphrase - "We dropped the ball on this one (again) but we'll now turn it round as if it's your fault.  Despite giving us clear instructions as to which line you wanted to switch when you signed up and giving us ample time to sort out the 10 day anti-slamming delay so you'd still have service on the 19th, we decided to make it more complicated and ask you if you wanted broadband on another line instead.  Actually, we didn't ask you as we forgot that bit, so the process stalled until you, understandably, decided to ring in and chase us up as we're incompetent and keep making mistakes.  Just as well you did mind as otherwise it would be even longer before we installed the service you asked us for!"
PN - This is the latest in a seemingly never ending stream of problems with order provision caused by your staff both making mistakes and failing to communicate with customers.  Do you have any plans to resolve this?  This one seems to be compounded by a double error in that not only have you failed to take note of the number to be used at sign up, you've also failed to record it when the OP rang up to chase the order!!!
BTW, you've also failed to apologise for *your* errors...
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
@davidhgerrard
Unfortunately your issue is a complex one due to there being two lines in the property. One of these is stopped which we could activate within 24 working hours and the other is a live line which we have to wait 10 days to take over (As we can't take live lines over quicker for slamming purposes and due to Ofcom regulation). Have you been able to confirm which number is read out when you dial 17070 as I can't see this documented anywhere on your account.
@worstexperience
I can see we've expedited your order for tomorrow.

It is and had always been the #735 number.  There are two sockets in the flat, both under that number.  I don't know where the other line could even be coming into the flat.
Are you saying now that even after my call yesterday it still hasn't been ordered on the correct number as requested?  I explicitly told them yesterday to activate the order, and that I would be calling back to complain.  So now they just didn't bother completing the request, again?
This must be rectified, and the service must be on by the 19th.  I requested it on a specific number, for the 19th of June, and it must be activated by that time.  Don't care what you do to do it, but it must be done.  I don't want to have to become a pain on this, but it must be resolved as if it has been done as requested by the plus net rep on the day I requested it.  End of.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Matthew
One of these is stopped which we could activate within 24 working hours and the other is a live line which we have to wait 10 days to take over (As we can't take live lines over quicker for slamming purposes and due to Ofcom regulation).

A CP can take over a dead line immediately.
A live line (or one which has an outstanding cease order) cannot have a new order placed on it until 10 days anti-slam protection have elapsed (or the cease order has been fulfilled).
These are OFCOM rules and the way BT Wholesale / Openreach operate.
No amount of sabre waving at an ISP/CP is going to alter this situation - this is not just a PlusNet issue.
You could consider ordering the service on the other line, thereby getting things working within 24 hours - finding it is BTOR's responsibility.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@pwatson
Unfortunately in this case it appears the number wasn't requested upon sign up or not added onto the order. What normally happens in cases such as these is that the ticket gets passed to one of our Provisoning agents to place the order manually. As there was no number noted on the account we asked what line was active in the property as to ensure that we take over
@davidhgerrard
Unfortunately the 735 number is the live one so we can't progress that any quicker I'm afraid.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
davidhgerrard
Grafter

OK.
Forgetting all of the other posts.
We want the internet up in our flat as fast as we can.
I have checked all of the open jacks in our flat, and the only ones with dial tones have the 735 (edited) number on them.
However, from what the other poster is saying, this other closed number could get us connected almost immediately, and even if we don't know where it connects into the flat a BT engineer could come and sort that out, is that correct?
Matthew, what can we do to resolve this?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I have checked all of the open jacks in our flat, and the only ones with dial tones have the 035 number on them.

David,
To avoid confusion, I trust you meant 735?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

this other closed number could get us connected almost immediately, and even if we don't know where it connects into the flat a BT engineer could come and sort that out, is that correct?
It should be, but if you can trace the wiring from the working and not-working sockets to see how they are connected that might reassure you.
After all the "dead" sockets might just be old disconnected ones (plenty like that in my house) typically made redundant by cordless phones.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

So, got home yesterday to my partner in tears.  Said she'd been put on hold for 45 minutes while trying to resolve this for us.
I called and had the exact same experience.  If you go to the "current customer" option, it's a 45 minute wait.  If you go to "join plusnet", you get someone immediately, but as soon as they suss out that you're already signed up, then they transfer you through to the 45 minute wait line.  It is impossible to talk to a real person to resolve the error.
Matthew:  please, I need to know what I need to do to have your service activated as soon as possible.  I don't care what line it's on, I just need it working in my flat as soon as possible.  It's not like you haven't got my money already, I've paid £160 for the pre-paid line rental already.  My next step is trading standards.  Give me the steps to solve this issue.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Have just been on chat, and may now have a result, which would be excellent.  Will keep informed.