cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really fed up and dissappointed-thought Plusnet would be better than this !

biffa1965

Really fed up and dissappointed-thought Plusnet would be better than this !

Up until last week I was really impressed with the whole Plusbet experience, great communication. great updates and really impressed by the quick switch from my old broadband and landline supplier (Vodafone at Home) to Plusnet. As a new customer I was told that my broadband had gone live much earlier than I expected and was delighted, however having set up the Thomson router (wireless network) the speeds have been awful, truly awful. Dont get me wrong my local exhange only provides 1 mg download speed but this has never been an issue as we are not great downloaders, just casual surfers.however having just carried out several checks of my download speed and upload speeds, the results are just totally unnacceptable......download speed was 0.1mb and upload was 0.5mb. Even as casual surfers we are not able to get a decent service streaming is vertully impossible to watch and youtube is not worth visiting. I have tried plusnets customer services and been left waiting for 40 mins i just feel like giving up. Another issue is that for some reason my little lads playstation 3 refuses to recognise the WEP code for the new Plusnet wireless network (and yes everything was imputted in the case upper and lower case values). Any help would be appreciated, other wise i may have to terminate this contract before it even starts !!
10 REPLIES 10
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: Really fed up and dissappointed-thought Plusnet would be better than this !

A couple of things come to mind.
Firstly have you run a speed test on a wired connection?  Wireless may well be the cause of your issue, but then again it may not, but it needs to be ruled in or out, so run the speed test whilst physically connected to the router by wire, and making sure your computer has no wireless connection at the time.
Secondly, WEP, unless WEP is the only protocol the Playstation works with, you need to use WAP, WEP is trivially broken into and should not be used is you have any choice, using it is only marginally better than not using any protection at all.
biffa1965

Cheers Devon il attempt a test using my ethernet cable and re try the playstation imputting the network key number in the WAP box instead, still dissappointing that Plus nets speeds are so bad, All we want to do is surf without pages crashing and wireless occassionally informing us that 'no internet access is available' before righting itself after a minute or so. Nevertheless thanks for the quick reply much appreciated
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: biffa1965
try the playstation imputting the network key number in the WAP box instead
The router and the Playstation must *both* be configured to use the same protocol, if one is configured for WAP and the other for WEP it will never work.
biffa1965

Well ive carried out a speed test with an ethernet (wired) connection and the results were even slower !!! ...il try me luck again with Plusnet Customer services.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I take it that you used to get faster speeds with a previous ISP?
Who were they?  And what exchange are you connected to?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

from first post
Vodofone at home, not sure what, could be mobile 3G or conventional, but not LLU
biffa1965

vodafone at home, its vodafones own landline and broadband service...anyway got Jo on phone from Plusnet to hopefully sort the problem
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi biffa1965,
Just to let you know I haven't forgotten you. I've been working on it since I came off the phone to you. I think I can see some light at the end of the tunnel now.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your time on the phone just now. The speed should kick in shortly.
Jojo Smiley
biffa1965

A big massive' thank you' to you Joanne...I dont know what you did over there at Plusnet, but my service is now the best its ever been (including when with previous ISP's). The service is now lightening quick and everything is running so smoth now. Many thanks for all you ve done I am chuffed to bits.Joanne your a star !!!