Did you mean: 

Really bad storm

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Really bad storm

Hi DieselSheff,
I'm sorry to hear that the weather has caused a problem with your router. The warranty on your router ended in late January this year unfortunately so it's not quite as straight forward as replacing it for the now faulty equipment.
You'll need to give us a call on 0800 432 0200 and speak to our Support Team and they will be able to get this issue sorted out for you.
DieselSheff
Grafter

can u give me the exact model of power cable needed for the router cos i can just get one off ebay dude
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Unfortunately that page doesn't give details of the DC Power Supply which needs to have an output of 12vDC @1Amp with a 2.5x5.5mm DC output plug. Obviously it needs to be for use in the UK typically rated 200/240AC 50Hz.and also have a 13A mains input plug. In theory any DC power unit with those or higher ratings would do (note that does not mean a higher fuse value - that has nothing to do with it and has been correctly explained earlier in this thread).
Typical switch mode PSUs of this type these days are generally rated 100-240V ~50-60Hz, 12V DC 1.0A. Make sure it has the 2.5x5.5mm output plug for the TG582n.
The exact Thomson model that I have is Model: ADS0126A-X120100 Part No: DSL36879820 which you may or may not be lucky to find on the Internet, I don't know if it's available direct from Thomson - but it might be cheaper to pick up a second hand 582n complete with it's power unit.
PLEASE BE WARY OF CHEAP FOREIGN IMPORTED POWER UNITS WHICH CAN BE UNSAFE AND CAN BE A FIRE HAZARD and buy power units from a recognised reputable UK supplier.
Edit: add details of the DC output plug.
DieselSheff
Grafter

i get all this but tbh its crap customer service n im disappointed im still paying them my money but their not willing to send me a new router after they have had well over thousands of pounds off me
DieselSheff
Grafter

im getting no better deal as an existing loyal customer
picbits
Rising Star

My 582n adapter appears to have a 5.5mm outer plug with a 2.5mm inner plug although it could be a 2.1mm. 12v @ 1A as stated above and almost certainly regulated.
If I was to grab one as a replacement I'd go for this :
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/nk120p100puk-g/ac-dc-power-supply-12v-1a-2-5mm/dp/PW02685?in_merch=...
£6.18 delivered and from a fairly reputable company.
It *could* be a 2.1mm inner plug by my digital calipers won't go into the socket to get a better measurement and a 5.5x2.5mm should fit.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

AFAIK most other ISPs will do the same. I've just spoken to a customer of mine who has similar problems, her router kicked up and died due to a storm we had over the weekend. 
She's with BT and she's just brought her BT Hub in to see if I had a replacement  as all BT would do, upon phoning up, was to sell her a new complete router.
She's a bit skint, but luckily I had a spare BT Hub3 which I swapped for a donation to my charity box and all is well for her.  Might be worth a try yourself, pop down to your local independant computer shop and see if they can find something for you. If they're anything like my workshop, there's bound to be a boxful of various PSUs somewhere.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah sorry, forgot to include the DC output plug, I'll edit my post - it's a 2.5mm DC connector.
And obviously buy power units from a recognised reputable UK supplier. The one linked above is an example.
picbits
Rising Star

@Anotherone - do you know if it is a 5mm or 5.5mm outer ? I've measured the one I have here as a 5.5 but the socket is a little smaller than the 5.5mm sockets I normally use.
@DieselSheff - if you can hang on till later this afternoon I can try a PSU with a 5mm/2.5mm plug and make sure it is a snug fit.
Anotherone
Champion

Dom, AFAIK it's a standard 2.5mm Connector which is 5.5mm outer and I've just measure several of mine and they are all 5.5mm outers. The socket outer is usually a "spring loaded" contact on a decent socket which the 582n appears to have. So I suppose the correct way of specifying it would be 2.5x5.5mm DC Connector. They come in 2 lengths as well, either should do, but these are ~10mm. (Longer ones are ~15mm).
@DieselSheff please remember it's not Plusnet's fault that the lightning has zapped your unit - they aren't obliged to do anything, I'm sure they would have done if they were able to but as I implied before, that would be unlikely.
DieselSheff
Grafter

i could only get one with 2amp not 1 so gna afta work with what i got n hope it dont chuff router up
acarneiro
Grafter

DieselSheff
Whilst I appreciate the inconvenience of having your router fried, I think you're being unreasonably rude and critical of PN.
You had a lightning strike and it affected your router just like it could have blown your telly or your fridge. It happens.
I'm sure they'll do their best to help you out but you need to know very clearly that they are under no obligation to do so.
Even if the router was under warranty, the manufacturers would be well within their rights to claim that what happened was not a fault due to a production error but the unit being subjected to conditions outside its normal operating parameters.
Whilst I appreciate that you "post like you talk", I think claiming to be disgusted with customer service is unreasonable.
Good luck.
André
rhydsnewi
Grafter

As an aside, switched mode power supplies like the ones the TG582n use don't actually have fuses (in the normal sense) in them. What's probably blown is a capacitor or other component in the power supply meaning if you even managed to get in to it you'd probably be unable to fix it.
Personally, I'd either get an universal power supply with swappable ends (this kind of thing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-MVA1200-1200mA-Multi-Voltage-Adaptor/dp/B0083S19YW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=... or spend a little extra and buy a better router.
I do find it odd (but far from impossible) that you only lost the power supply in the storm. Usually lightning strikes knock out either the router itself totally, the network switch or the ADSL modem parts in my experience.
Anotherone
Champion

Perfectly possible to knock out only the PSU. Personally, I would NOT recommend a universal supply with swappable ends rhydsnewi, mistakes can be made and that would likely fry the router, plus any issues with the voltage supply switch could cause noise on the supply maybe resulting in dropped connections and it was described as "the very flimsy red slide button which fell of as soon as I used it" by one purchaser of that item.
The PSU linked in reply #21 at CPC Farnell should be perfect for the job.
@DieselSheff
If the 2A supply that you have is 12V DC, then it should be perfectly OK.
Bear in mind, that although you said in your OP that it worked OK with the laptop charger, until you've tried it for an extended period with a proper supply, you can't be certain it wasn't damaged as well. The 2A supply certainly won't harm it.