cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really bad storm

DieselSheff
Grafter

Really bad storm

Hi we have have a really bad storm today and it has fused the router and i can only get it working using my laptop charger i want a new router and cable sent out asap monday next day delivery preferably i am disgusted that your hardware has given me this problem! and requires special tools that i dont have just to change the fuse so i cant charge my laptop just so i can use my broadband to write this . if this situation is not rectified i will not be making any further payments and switching broadband providers!
36 REPLIES 36
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Really bad storm

The router power supply will not be user serviceable on safety grounds.
This is probably something for the DC guys on Monday.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
DieselSheff
Grafter

DC mate?
TORPC
Grafter

Since the router is working, with the use of the Laptop power / charger unit, then the router appears fine, & it is the power supply that has been affected
PlusNet or any company, can not be held responsible for the British weather & the effects it has on the electrical equipment in your home.
Both the Router & Power supply have non user serviceable parts (any tampering, can result in voids of warranty & or your life)
The DCT / Digital Care team do not work weekends, & will be back on Monday, then they will be able to advise you further

Have / did you have the router power supply in a Surge Protected etension / Adapter such as &
In regards to the fuse rating, it is there to not only protect the equipment , but also to prevent fires / risks to your life

DieselSheff
Grafter

weather permitting yes i know you cant help that but shouldnt the router have stronger fuses to make sure something like this doesnt happen?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

A fuse is rated to protect the equipment and if a higher rated fuse is used then the equipment may suffer rather than the fuse....not an ideal situation.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
DieselSheff
Grafter

ok .what do ya reckon likelyhood is they will send me another powersupply?
TORPC
Grafter

See my amended post above Smiley
DieselSheff
Grafter

No was just in a normal wall plug dude
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Plusnet won't have just a power supply I'm afraid. They will probably offer you another TG582n for the cost of the postage. How long have you been with Plusnet?
DieselSheff
Grafter

Yonks mate
picbits
Rising Star

You never know - they may just have another supply knocking around from a dead or returned router - worth giving them a yell on Monday.
You could also try calling them on the 0800 number over the weekend.
As above though - don't hold them liable that the supply has failed. It has done what it is designed to do by the sound of things. If it had a "stronger fuse" then it could have passed the surge onto the router which in turn could have passed the surge onto any computer equipment you have connected to it.
Also you may find the laptop supply has a higher voltage than the router supply (double check) - despite the plug physically fitting, it may damage the router in prolonged use if it is not the right voltage.
DieselSheff
Grafter

All i want is a new router sent out as a gesture of good will for free because iv been with plusnet years n theyve had a buttload of money off me
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Rudeness does not generally engender goodwill. 
DieselSheff
Grafter

im not been rude mate this just how i talk messages are cold ud no am been right if was over phone