Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really bad fiber speeds (new customer)

markeagles1973
Grafter

Really bad fiber speeds (new customer)

Hi
I have just migrated over from BT Infinity where i was getting a steady 41mb all day and everyday without any problems , my Plusnet went live on the 12th April and since then its been that bad i have problems opening even the lightest web site , now i know about BRAS profiling etc and my line will be unsteady for the first 10 days but i should at least be able to browse with ease. my test this morning can we please set my profile up now?
jim:green image tags added mod:end
16 REPLIES 16
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Really bad fiber speeds (new customer)

Hi markeagles1973,
I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems.
The speed test that you completed, was that done via an Ethernet Cable?
markeagles1973
Grafter

Yes it was
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you connect directly into your Modem and run another Speed Test please?
I'd be interested to see if the speeds are low up to the modem. You can find out how to do this <a href="http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows-7/">here</a>.
markeagles1973
Grafter

Hi
Ok seems ok connection directly to the fiber model .
This means i guess the supplied router is rubbish as i have read alot of complaints regarding this ? what happens now as i donot want to be shipped another technicolor router if this is the performance it gives
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just before we go down that router, have you tried a Factory Reset on the router?
markeagles1973
Grafter

First thing i did and reset it all back up again. its all standard settings with only laptop wireless and PC wired , at test time only PC wired was connected.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Do you still have your BT Home hub ? you should be able to use that by configuring it with your PlsuNet username/password see here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/using-a-bt-homehub-3-or-2-on-plusnet-adsl-or-fttc/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markeagles1973
Grafter

I have done that , works perfectly now .  Undecided
markeagles1973
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Just before we go down that router, have you tried a Factory Reset on the router?

Chris,
What happens now with this router i have that is well un-usable ? as the Cessation charge of £25 refers to hardware i cannot use
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Glad you got it working at least with the Home Hub.
This means i guess the supplied router is rubbish as i have read alot of complaints regarding this ?
There's been a few problems with Wireless speeds but I'm not sure I've seen any where the wired speed is bad. Could be you've just got a duff one.
The cessation change of £25 doesn't refer to the router, that's the charge to cease the service if you leave and don't migrate to another supplier. There is a 'deferred hardware' charge of ( usually ) £40 for the router if you leave within 12 months. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@markeagles1973
Ideally we'd like to send a replacement router as the speeds were poor even so via Ethernet. If you'd like I can organise a replacement router to be sent out to you?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just another point worth noting, according to Kelly the other day, mybroadbandspeed can't cope with Fibre speeds  Roll_eyes
Run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
The results from that will give you the Downstream BT IP Profile for your line (on FTTC profile x 1.033 = sync speed).
Speedtest.net is usually quite good, but pick a server at or near London that gives consistent results for you, but also try the Thinkbroadband one.
markeagles1973
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
@markeagles1973
Ideally we'd like to send a replacement router as the speeds were poor even so via Ethernet. If you'd like I can organise a replacement router to be sent out to you?

A new router would be ok , but i gues it would be of the same make ? , my father moved to plusnet a few months back but got a Netgear would lve a netgear but i guess that won't happen, please send a new router i'll have it as a backup and i'll use my homehub untill i can afford a new router of better performance
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi, the replacement would be like for like. I've just arranged that now for you so it should reach you within the next few days.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team