cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reached limit = no overnight p2p?

dancedar

Reached limit = no overnight p2p?

As the title suggest, I see I've hit my metered (08:00 to 00:00) usage which is fine, but I see my p2p overnight downloads are 0.
Am I right in thinking unmetered overnight usage is withdrawn for p2p should I hit my daytime limit?
If so, this seems a little unfair, does it not? In essence I could download 9gb daytime and 100gb overnight and be fine, but once I hit 10gb daytime I get 0 p2p overnight.
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Reached limit = no overnight p2p?

Yes, if you hit your limit your connection is throttled at all times.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have a read http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_experience.shtml
If it's an older product then definitely all P2P, USENET & FTP seem to be blocked.
dancedar

Thanks both for the replies.
I'm on Value:
What are the download/upload limits or data usage caps on this product? 10Gb (unlimited between midnight - 8am)
Is traffic management used to manage compliance with data caps and download limits? Yes
Under what circumstances? If a customer reaches their allowance and has set a maximum spending limit
Level of speed reduction? 256Kb/s across all traffic types
Duration of speed reduction? Speed reduction in place at all times until next billing date.
Is traffic management used in relation to heavy users? No

I don't see it mentioned that p2p would be blocked. Either way, it seems a little off that unmetered/overnight p2p would be completely blocked just because my paid-for usage has hit its limit & is slowed (I'm fine with slow speeds)
Throttling, fine; blocking, not so much! I'm not trying to get it changes as I'm sure it's in the T&C somewhere, I just cannot understand why I could download 200gb overnight having used 9.99gb daytime usage, but 1mb more and all p2p during unmetered/overnight is completely blocked.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

P2P isn't blocked. Once you've reached your data usage limit, as in the table you quoted from download speeds are limited to 256kbps across all traffic types at all times. That is 32kBps across all traffic types (not each individually) and if you have P2P set up to use multiple threads the total is limited to a maximum of 32kBps. Reducing the number of threads might use the restricted bandwidth more effectively.
David
dancedar

Definitely blocked here, fully. Cannot connect to trackers or dht, 0 bytes exchanged up and down. Even limiting to one connection, or 10, I get nothing.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Although it doesn't specifically say it's blocked, it definitely is, as well as Usenet and FTP. This is the same on all products where usage is chargeable. I'll make sure we get the website updated to make it clearer.
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Are FTP uploads blocked as well - and, if so, does this include Plusnet hosted sites
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

yes, but not PN FTP
dancedar

Thanks for the replies and info, @Joanne Pilson; I don't suppose it might be changed in the future, it does seem a little one-sided to shut off one part of the service just because another's allowance has been used. It's like me using my 100 minutes and not being allowed to text!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm afraid that's very unlikely, or there's not really any incentive not to go over the limit - though you could always allow (or add) another 5GB block of usage which would unrestrict the speed?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Didn't think it would be too long before someone said cough up the Ackers (or wait until the end of the billing period)  Cheesy