cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: wireless connection problems

legrandthommo

Hello. I have just joined plusnet and set up my home wireless network no problem.  Using my personal laptop I can connection wirelessly or with the ethernet cable.  With my work laptop I can connect with the ethernet cable no problem as well. 
I cannot seem to connect wirelessly with him work laptop.  Using an Intel PROSet Wireless Connection Utility it finds my home network but when I click on connect, a "Wi-Fi Protected Setup Wizard" pops up and then generates a password which it asks me to "Enter the Device Password in the access point or external registrar".  I have no idea what this means or how to do it.  Any ideas?  Plus.net told me to turn my laptop off and on again, as did IT support at my office.  Unsurprisingly, this didn't work.
Any help much appreciated!  Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Re: wireless connection problems

mod:note
Split from other topic, for more visibility.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Re: wireless connection problems

Sounds like your laptop is trying to be clever and get you to set up security on your router.
You could try disabling the PROSet utility and use windows to manage your wireless network - that will just ask you to put your network key in.
Otherwise if there is a way for you to manually set up the connection without going through the wizard that should help, I don't have proset anymore to be able to say more that I'm afraid..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
legrandthommo

Thanks very much adiewoo-tangy-clan.  I can't disable the Intel PROset as it has been installed by work.  Sadly, it looks like I'll be stuck with a long ethernet cable all round the house instead, unless anyone else has any bright ideas!
Thanks again
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Otherwise if there is a way for you to manually set up the connection without going through the wizard that should help, I don't have proset anymore to be able to say more that I'm afraid..

There is, I have the Intel Proset utility on my lappy and I'm sure you can do it manually. Problem is I'm not at home and my lappy is!.
If I get chance this evening I'll check it out and try and post some instructions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hulls
Grafter

Is your work laptop trying to connect via VPN?  That may be the password it's looking for (ie to connect to your work network)
John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@legrandthommo,
Sorry about the delay, but I think I know what might be happening now.
The Intel Proset supports 'Wi-Fi Protected Setup' which allows it to be used configure suitable 'access points'. My guess is that the TG585 is compatible and so Proset is trying to reconfigure it and you dont really want to do that.
Have a look at this http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/R196253/en/connect.htm#connecting , particularly at the section on 'Using Wi-Fi Protected Setup* to Configure or Join a Network'.
You need to uncheck the 'Enable device registration' & 'Notify when Wifi Protected setup access points are in range' in the Proset application settings below.

That should stop it trying to use the wizard to reconfigure the router and will just allow you to connect to it & enter the current WPA password.
Let us know how that goes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

legrandthommo

Thanks very much all.  For some reason I don't have the option to untick the 'enable device registration' box.  I will try it at home tonight.