cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-joining problems

Grafter

Re-joining problems

I'm looking to come back to PN as a broadband, phone line and mobile customer. However, because I'm currently an email only customer, the speed / availability / packages checker doesn't work for me (the system thinks I'm already a customer), and online chat doesn't work for me because I have adblocker installed. Why all the obstacles? I prefer to see details in writing rather than place reliance on a phone call with sales.

12 REPLIES 12
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Re-joining problems

Why not white-list Plusnet in the adblocker?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Grafter

I would if I knew how - can't even remember which one it is, and there is no option to "allow" as with other ads that have been blocked.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you want the bad news - you can't reactivate a mail only account as a broadband account so you would need to rejoin as a new customer

there was a thread about that but I can't remember where

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Oldjim  Surely that's the good news, making all new-customer offers available.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not if you want to keep the email address as you will need to keep paying for it on top of the new contract

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@430 wrote:

However, because I'm currently an email only customer, the speed / availability / packages checker doesn't work for me (the system thinks I'm already a customer)

Could you try again now, I've zero'd off the landline number that was still stored on your email account as the number the services were provided on for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Grafter

Cheers Harry, now works and I can see what is available.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Glad to hear that. Thanks for letting us know Thumbs_Up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@HarryB wrote:

I've zero'd off the landline number that was still stored on your email account as the number the services were provided on for you.

Harry,

Is this a standard step in the process of switching an account to email only?  If not can it be fed back to be so please? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As far as I'm aware it should be, it's how I was taught to do it. I'll have a look through the documentation for it though and pass feedback on if it's not.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Grafter

Well I had some really disappointing news: After finally managing to speak to someone in broadband sales (the first agent hung up on me), it really does seem as if it's a classic "computer says no" situation. 

To summarise, I want to sign up for unlimited fibre + line rental, plus 2 separate mobile contracts, for which I already have the PACs. I am currently an email only PN customer (small monthly payment) with user credentials created when I originally joined PN in 2005. I'd like to keep using that user name and the associated email addresses. However, it appears that if I re-join PN, I must be allocated a new set of credentials (for some sort of tech reason which couldn't be explained), so that I'll end up with one account for email, and one for broadband (and a  third account for mobile contracts, which  I could live with)! I have no idea whether this will mean that I will need to be constantly logging in / out of my broadband / email accounts,depending on which service I want to use, but even if it doesn't, surely there is a way to avoid creating what I view as a completely unnecessary new broadband account. 

If there is no way to keep this as simple as I would like, it would be a deal breaker for me for broadband and the mobile service, as I'd like to keep everything together with one provider. Any thoughts as to whether this is actually achievable?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Lets see if I can help.

For whatever technical reason Plusnet are very reluctant to resurrect old accounts (such as your email only account) into a full service account again.  It has been done in the past but is (I believe) a tedious manual hack.

Mobile accounts are all some thing quite new and have zero association with a Plusnet account as you and I know them.

In your situation, going forward you will have...

• A new account for land line phone and broadband - you'd use those credentials for logging on to the user portal to manage the account and in the router to connect to the internet
  • Your existing email account - you'd only need to log in there if you wanted to change the configuration of your email account or check bills etc.  Only if you chose to access those accounts via webmail would you need to "log in" more than that.  If you accessed those mailboxes via an email client, once set up you'd not need to bother with any explicit logins.  Given time, you could consider changing all of these email addresses to point to the email boxes on the new account - indeed this would be an ideal time to acquire your own domain name such that it you changed ISPs again there would be no need to retain the ISP provided email boxes ... you would just need to redirect your domain name to your new provider.
  • An account for mobile services - you have no choice here - mobiles are administered from a completely different system - having separate accounting and its own user portal - you'd only need to log into here to administer your account

HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.